UPDATE *** See the current list of things to do and see on Maui for Christmas. ***
The following list is from Christmas 2010 for reference purposes only. Many of the links will no longer work
Will you be spending the Christmas holiday on Maui? Oh, you lucky duck, you! You’ll certainly enjoy Christmas with a bit of warm Aloha.
You’ll find plenty to do to celebrate Christmas in Maui from kid-friendly events like visits with Santa Claus to romantic multi-course gourmet dinners. Here’s a sampling of what you’ll find to do this Christmas in Maui.
Holiday Events Before Christmas
* Maui Ocean Center celebrates the 12 Days of FISH-mas with special holiday events and giveaways. Scuba Claus and his Elf helper will visit the Open Ocean exhibit at 11:00am and 3:00pm throughout the 12 Days of FISH-mas. Guests will also enjoy holiday-themed giveaways, candy and trinkets for children while supplies last, and much more! See this link for more information on December events at the Maui Ocean Center.
* On December 11, Grand Wailea hosts their Holiday Celebration. The celebration includes dinner, live music, DJ, dancing and casino tables. There will also be door prizes for spa, dining and a trip to Las Vegas! Tickets start at $125 per person and can be reserved by calling 1-808-875-1234 ext. 51
* Makena Beach Resort Maui hosts a gingerbread making event on December 18 from 9:30am to 11:30am for kids 12 and under. The event is open to the public and in house guests.
* On December 22, Aloha Ballroom will host a free holiday dance class and party from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. There will be free dance performances and refreshments. You are asked to donate a wrapped gift for children ages 1 – 17. Please indicate age range and gender on the gift tag. Gifts will be donated to three of Maui’s shelters. For more information, see this link.
* Check out the “Sandman” building contest at Maluaka Beach in front of Makena Beach Resort Maui on December 23 from 10am to 11:30am.
Maui Christmas Eve Events & Dinners (December 24, 2010)
* Santa has scheduled his Maui arrival by canoe at Maluaka Beach at 11am by Makena Beach Resort Maui.
* Then at noon, Santa makes his way a bit further north to the Fairmont Kea Lani. Santa Claus, along with his elves and Mrs. Claus, splash ashore Polo Beach to spread holiday cheer as local residents and hotel guests gather in anticipation. Bring your camera for a photo with Santa. Sean the Juggler will be there too to cheer on the crowd.
* Molokini Restaurant at Makena Beach Resort Maui presents a Chef’s Three-Course Christmas Eve Dinner from 6pm – 9pm. See the menu here. Pricing is $55 for adults without wine and $77 with wine pairings. Children ages 6 – 12 cost $27. For reservations, call 808-875-5888.
* Sheraton Maui Resort invites you to join them for a Christmas Eve Around the World Buffet from 5:30pm to 9pm. Pricing for this international buffet (see menu) is as follows $63.00 for adults, $15.75 for children 5-11, and $31.50 for children ages 12 -16. For reservations, call 808- 661-0031.
* Kaanapali Beach Hotel will hold a non-denominational Christian Christmas Eve Service at 9:30pm.
Maui Christmas Day Events, Brunches & Dinners (December 25, 2010)
* Grand Wailea hosts the Grand Holiday Feast with Roasted Organic Turkey, Roasted Prime Rib, Macadamia Nut Crusted Lamb Rack and many more holiday favorites and delights. (See the menu here.) Enjoy live entertainment featuring hula dancers. Buffet to be held at The Grand Dining Room Maui from 2:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Pricing is $74 for adults and $37 for children ages 5 to 12. Seats can be reserved by calling 808-875-1234 ext. 4900.
* Pacific Whale Foundation offers a Christmas Brunch Cruise starting at 11:30am. Enjoying the views of Maui, Molokai and Lanai from the water during this brunch cruise. You might eve see a humpback whale. Book online for 10% savings. Pricing starts at $63.96 for adults and $39.96 for children ages 3 – 12. Non-member pricing is just a bit more.
* Later, the Pacific Whale Foundation offers a Christmas Dinner Cruise departing Lahaina at 5:30. Enjoy a traditional Christmas during this 2 hour dinner cruise. Book online for 10% savings. Pricing starts at $67.96 for adults and $43.96 for children ages 3 – 12. Non-member pricing is just a bit more.
* Molokini Bar and Grille at Makena Beach Resort Maui presents a Christmas Dinner Buffet with seatings at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm. You can see the full buffet menu here. Pricing is $52 for adult; $26 for child ages 6-12. For reservations, call 808-875-5888.
* Sheraton Maui Resort offers a “Christmas On The Beach” buffet dinner from 5:30pm to 9pm. Pricing is $73 for adults $18.25 for children 5-11, and $31.50 for children ages 12 -16. For reservations, call 808- 661-0031.
* Kaanapali Beach Hotel hosts a Christmas Feast at both lunch and dinner. The buffet menu includes Macadamia Nut Crusted Roasted Leg of Lamb, Rotisserie Roasted Goose with Pohaberry Chutney, Kiawe Smoked Pepper Crusted Prime Rib, Roasted Turkey with Shiitake Mushroom and Corn Stuffing, a Cold Seafood Buffet with all-you-can-eat Crab Legs and more. There will be a special keiki (children’s) station. Santa himself will be visiting hourly. Lunch will be served from 11am to 1:30 pm with pricing for adults $42.95 and children (ages 6-12) $22. Then, the Dinner Feast: will be offered from 3pm to 7pm with pricing at adults $46.95, children (6-12) $22. Call 808-667-0124 for reservations.
* The Fairmont Kea Lani will feature our A Fairmont Christmas in Paradise Buffet Dinner. Located outside on the beautiful Palm Court, highlights of the buffet include slow roasted free range turkey, carving station, seafood selections and many traditional favorites including delectable holiday desserts. Along with the buffet, there will be live entertainment and an open premium bar. Pricing is $90 per adult, children 6-12 years – $30.00. Call 808-875-2290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations. Seating is from 5pm-7pm.
* The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua’s Terrace Restaurant will feature “A Dom Perignon Christmas”.Raise your sparkling glass as the culinary team presents a lavish holiday buffet with an array of delicacies, highlighted with entertainment by a contemporary Hawaiian soloist and hula dancer.This Christmas buffet will be served from 3pm to 8pm. Pricing is $120 per adult including a glass of Dom Perignon Champagne. Children ages 6-12 cost $43.50 . Reservations are required. For reservations, call 808-669-6200.
* The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua’s The Banyan Tree Christmas Day Dinnerwill feature a bountiful four-course holiday menu, paired with a smooth jazz duo, at this award-winning, ocean-front venue.Christmas dinner will be served from 5:30 to 9:30pm $120 per person. For reservations, call 808-669-6200.
Advice & Notes:
- Due to demand and this special time of year, some of the special dining events require a 48 or 72 hour cancellation. Please make sure you are aware of the cancellation policy as you make your reservations.
- Unless otherwise noted, taxes and gratuity are not included in the pricing listed.
- I recommend you make your reservations as soon as possible to secure the event you prefer. Seating is limited.
- Many restaurants will allow children ages four or five and under to dine for free with each paying adult.
Whether you’re celebrating Christmas on Maui or elsewhere, I want to say Mele Kalikimaka, Hawaii’s way to say Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Will you be visiting Maui through New Year’s Eve? If so, check out this great list of what to do for New Year’s Eve on Maui.
Mahalo to my friends at the Maui Visitors Bureau for helping me gather these Maui holiday happenings!