If you are visiting Maui for Christmas 2022, you’ll find special events to make your holiday extra special. We’ve made a lot of progress updating this page for Maui Christmas 2022. As we’ve updated events, we’ve noted them with a bold, red 2022.
Planning to spend this Christmas holiday on Maui? You’ll find the island decked out in lights, ornaments and Christmas cheer. Maui really knows how to celebrate the holidays with warm Aloha.
As you’re making your Christmas vacation plans, we want to give you some special and meaningful ideas to celebrate the holiday season with Maui-style. Here are our suggestions for the top things to do for Maui Christmas 2022:
See Lahaina’s famous banyan tree wrapped in Christmas lights
The sprawling banyan tree is wrapped in thousands of Christmas lights. Where else but in Maui will you find such a sight as this one? The banyan tree is located at Banyan Tree Court, just off Front Street in Lahaina town. These Christmas lights are scheduled to be on from 5:30pm to midnight starting December 3, 2022 throughout the remainder of the month of December. For parking near the banyan tree, we recommend the free parking lot off of Prison Street. 2022
Christmas Shopping 2022
Christmastime is a special time to shop in Maui. Consider buying locally made crafts and artwork for gifts.
You can find the big department stores in Kahului, but if you want to find more local-style shops, check out these shopping areas:
West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapalua)
- Lahaina’s Front Street and side streets have lots of shops.
- We like Whalers Village in Kaanapali.
- Lahaina Cannery Mall will be decked out with Christmas trees decorated by local community groups.. See their events calendar to enjoy cultural activities along with special holiday entertainment and photos with Santa.
- Lahaina Gateway is another shopping area in the Lahaina area.
- Outlets of Maui in Lahaina
- We really enjoy the Shops at Wailea in Wailea. Check out their events calendar to find a free Polynesian show and other entertainment.
Other unique Maui shops
- If you want to experience a cooler climate, go upcountry to the paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) town of Makawao where you can browse through unique shops — such as Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center which is decorated for the Hui Holidays.
- The former sugar cane plantation town of Paia has some small, local shops.
Attend a Christmas Church Service
Attending a Christmas service is a wonderful way to celebrate the good news of hope for this season. It’s even more special when you do so in Hawaii.
Here are some services that have caught our eye for 2022. We’ll list these churches that are near the resort areas. To help you find a service near your accommodations, we’ll list the churches in geographical order.
West Maui – Kapalua, Lahaina areas
- Maria Lanakila Catholic Church in Lahaina and Sacred Hearts Mission Church in Kapalua are holding mass on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. See this link for the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services at both churches.2022
- Lahaina United Methodist Church will hold an outdoor Christmas Eve Service at 4:30pm. See this link for more information. 2022
- Harvest at Kumulani Chapel in Kapalua services TBD. This church is an open-air, mostly outside church church.
South Maui – Kihei, Wailea
- Hope Chapel in Kihei welcomes visitors for Christmas Candlelight services starting December 23 and will hold three candlelight services on December 24. Check their events page for more details.2022
- St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church in Kihei offers several Christmas Eve and Christmas Day mass times.2022
- Calvary Chapel South Maui holds Christmas Eve Candlelight Services at 5:30pm and again at 7:30pm. 2022
- Trinity Episcopal Church by the Sea services TBD.
When you arrive on Maui, pick up a copy of the Maui News as Christmas Eve approaches. They’ll have more information about church services across Maui. Additionally, ask your concierge if they know of services that will be near to where you’re staying.
See Santa Claus as he visits Maui
Santa normally makes a few quick visits to Maui before heading back to the North Pole to load up his sleigh. If any event has
strikethrough text, that event is from 2021 and we’re keeping it as a placeholder for a very likely repeat in 2022 until we can confirm it.
- On Saturday, December 17th and Thursday, December 22nd guests can take a free photo with Santa from 4pm to 7pm. For the free photo, guests are asked to bring a canned good donation to benefit the Maui Food Bank. See this link for more information. 2022
Ali’i Nui hosts their special Holiday Santa Sail on Sunday December 18 and Wednesday, December 21st. Lean morehere. 2022
- On Christmas Eve, Santa arrives on outrigger canoe at Polo Beach in front of the Fairmont Kea Lani at approximately 12pm. See this link for more information. 2022
- See the Halona Kai Holiday Village, (details are listed further down on this list) where Santa makes an appearance. 2022
- At Montage Kapalua Bay, Mr. and Mrs. Claus stop by for photos under the Banyan Tree from 5pm to 6pm on December 21st and 23rd. While you’re there, check out Mrs. Claus’ cherished gingerbread collection in the resort lobby. See this link for more information. 2022
- On Christmas Eve, Santa arrives by outrigger canoe at Wailea Beach in front of the Grand Wailea at approximately 9am. See this link for more information. 2022
Savor a Christmas feast
Many resorts across Maui will offer scrumptious multi-course dinners and/or buffets with menus specially designed for the holidays. Most hotel-based restaurants will be open. Check directly with your hotel for details.
One quick source to search for restaurant availability online is via OpenTable. (Make sure you customize the search criteria.) I recommend you make reservations as soon as possible.
Explore the Hawaiian island-style Christmas decorations
Christmas decorations in Hawaii are really special. You may find tropical flowers adorning Christmas trees, tropical fish ornaments and other unique island-style decorations. The hotels really do a fantastic job decorating for Christmas. For a nice stroll, head out on the oceanfront paths in either Kaanapali or Wailea or both. Along the way, pop into the hotels to check out their lobbies.2022
Enjoy special holiday activities at Halona Kai Holiday Village
From December 23 through 25, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort hosts their second annual Halona Kai Holiday Village. This year’s village features a dinner buffet with festive music, Christmas-themed activities, a visit from Santa Claus and a holiday movie shown with hot chocolate and popcorn. Halona Kai Holiday Village is located at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in Kaanapali. See this link for more information and to book tickets.2022
Kiss your loved one under the Mistletoe at Montage
Montage Kapalua Bay invites guests and locals to step under the mistletoe and snap a special photo once again this year. Mistletoe at Montage will be located at the resort’s entrance. If you share your photo publicly on social media with the hashtages #MontageMistletoe and #MontageMemory, your photo might be featured on the resort’s Instagram account. While you’re there check out Mrs. Claus’ gingerbread collection in the hotel’s lobby. See more information about Mistletoe at Montage as well as other special holiday options at this link. 2022
We recommend you speak to your hotel’s concierge for more options that will be held onsite or nearby your accommodation. Also, pick up a copy of the Maui News when you are on island for additional restaurants and holiday activity suggestions.
The holiday time is a popular time to visit Maui. As such, be prepared by reading our advice — What you need to know about planning a Hawaii vacation around a holiday.
We hope you’ll have a wonderful Christmastime on Maui. While you’re there, make sure you know how to wish someone a Merry Christmas in the Hawaiian language.
If you’ll be staying on Maui through New Year’s Eve, check out our guide for possible Maui New Year’s celebrations.