Aloha and welcome to our annual Maui New Year’s Eve guide! At the moment, all events on this page are from 2022/2023. This page will likely be updated in December 2023. In the meantime, if you are planning a 2023/2024 New Year’s Eve vacation to Maui, we have some advice:
- Review the events on this page. Most of them are repeated year after year. As such, you can get an idea of what might be coming up in December 2023.
- We have been covering Maui New Year’s Eve events for more than 15 years. In all that time, the Grand Wailea Resort has hosted the fireworks show. So, if you want a front row seat to the fireworks show, a stay in Wailea is your best bet. Of course, we can’t guarantee that there will be fireworks, but, as we’ve said, it’s a good bet.
- If you want to book a special meal for New Year’s Eve, look though the dining section of this page. The links to the menu are likely to be broken now, but you’ll get an idea of what the restaurants usually prepare for the holiday. If possible, we recommend booking your dinner reservation by mid-November as tables book up early!
- Subscribe to our free newsletters that are generally issued twice per week. You’ll stay up to date all Hawaii travel advice, news and ideas. Plus, we’ll announce that this page is up to date via our newsletter. Subscriptions are free and you can unsubscribe at any time.Carefully enter your email address at this link to subscribe to our free newsletters.
Is Maui your destination to celebrate New Year’s Eve to welcome in 2023? What an amazing island welcome in 2023 with aloha!
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Maui
We are pleased to confirm that there will be midnight New Year’s Eve fireworks at Grand Wailea Resort! Traditionally, these fireworks shoot from a barge just off the coast, as such, they can be visible from some surrounding areas.
If you are staying in one of the Wailea area resorts that may have a view of the fireworks, that’s ideal for enjoying this dazzling display! If you are not staying in the Wailea area, we have some helpful suggestions. One of the best ways to see the Wailea fireworks show is to take a special New Year’s Eve tour boat cruise. There are several options to consider:
- Pacific Whale Foundation is offering a number of New Year’s Eve cocktail cruises that depart from either Ma’alaea or Lahaina harbors. Lahaina Harbor is closer to the West Maui resorts, but parking in Lahaina can be challenging at times. Ma’alaea Harbor is closer to Wailea than Lahaina, but parking is much more available in the large parking lot by the Maui Ocean Center. (When checking availability, make sure that you are choosing the date of 12/31/2022 as their booking engine sometimes automatically advances the cruise into the next year of availability when a particular cruise is sold out.) See this link for a listing of their special New Year’s Eve cruises from Pacific Whale Foundation.
- Alii Nui has an adults-only New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with food and drink. It’s pricy, but it does include transportation from most hotels to and from the cruise harbor, which is very convenient for this holiday. We have taken one of their snorkel cruises and they do a nice job. This typically sells out in advance.
- Pride of Maui offers a New Year’s Eve cruise. We have been on a sunset dinner sail with Pride of Maui and they do a nice job. They typically sell out quickly.
There are some great restaurants and places to grab a refreshing drink in the Wailea area. So, if you are not staying in the Wailea area and you would like to see the fireworks show, consider spend a lovely evening in Wailea.
New Year’s Eve Dining on Maui
Many of Maui’s restaurants will offer a festive environment to celebrate the evening. If you are staying in a resort, chances are that the restaurant(s) at your resort will be offering a special dinner. Check with your concierge to learn more about the options that will be convenient to you.
Here are some restaurants with special menus that have caught our eye for this New Year’s Eve:
- Pacific’o on the beach in Lahaina has a “build your own prix-fixe menu“
- Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina has a special prix fixe menu
- The Pour House Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar in Kapalua has a special prix fix menu
- Cane & Canoe at Montage Kapalua Bay has special four-course dinner. (Added 12/31)
If there’s a particular restaurant you want to book for New Year’s Eve, we recommend you secure your desired dinner reservation as quickly as possible.
If you book at a restaurant that is not at your resort, we recommend you inquire about parking options so that you are prepared. Some venues have valet-only parking while others may have ample self-parking.
A really good site to help you research restaurants that have reservations available is OpenTable.com.
New Year’s Eve Luau for 2022/2023
Going to a luau and enjoying the pageantry of the Polynesian dances is a fun and unique way to enjoy the holiday evening. You can check out our Maui luau list for reviews of these luaus. We’ll note companies that are offering a luau on New Year’s Eve luau:
Luaus in Wailea
With the fireworks show anticipated in Wailea (from an ocean barge fronting the Grand Wailea Resort) a luau in the area would be a fun way to spend the early part of the night, hang out in the area and then, hopefully, see the midnight fireworks. The following Wailea luau companies are operating their luaus on New Year’s Eve:
- Luau at Grand Wailea Resort
- Te Au Moana at Wailea Beach Marriott Resort
Luaus in Kaanapali/Lahaina area
- Wailele Polynesian Luau at the Westin Maui at Kaanapali Beach
- Myths of Maui Luau at the Royal Lahaina Resort
New Year’s Eve Parties on Maui for New Year’s Eve 2023
Here are some opportunities to dance your way into 2023 this New Year’s Eve on Maui.
- Taverna in Kapalua is hosting a Maui New Year’s Eve Party with a DJ, dancing and a midnight balloon drop. , photo booth and midnight balloon drop. See this link for more information.
- Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina hosts New Year’s Eve 2023 White Party with DJs and a silent disco. See this link for more information.
- Down The Hatch Maui in Lahaina is hosting a New Year’s Eve party. See this link for the details.
- Mulligans on the Blue in Wailea – New Year’s Eve Party with Island Soul. Note some ticket options include dinner. See this link for the details. (Updated 12/20)
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa hosts a new year’s eve party with a live band. See this link for more information. (Added 12/28)
- The Ritz-Carlton Maui, Kapalua is hosting Party Like It’s 1992 – New Year’s Eve Celebration. See this link for more information. (Added 12/31)
- Many of the luxury resorts offer special New Year’s Eve parties, too. They’re generally not advertised as they want to reserve the space for guests of their hotel. So, check directly with your resort for special holiday events.
- We aim to keep this list of New Year’s Eve events updated as we are made aware of information. So, do check back for more details.
- Please note that events are subject to change without notice.
- Pick up a copy of the Maui News, the island’s newspaper, when you’re on Maui to find more information and advertisements for additional dining, parties and celebrations around the island.
- While you’re in Maui start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii.
- If this is your first visit to Maui at a holiday, you’ll find the following articles to be helpful for your planning:
- Subscribe to our free newsletters to get news and tips for your Hawaii vacation. Carefully enter your email address at this link for your free subscription.
Note to journalists, bloggers, etc. – we do ALL our own research with many hours invested in this work. If you are referencing this page for an article you are creating, kindly provide credit to GoVisitHawaii.com