Note that this page will be fully updated for the coming New Year in December 2021. In the meantime, you will find some helpful links below to make your plans. The boat tours to see fireworks book up quickly. They are available for booking booking months ahead. So, we recommend that you book those quickly if you are interested.
We are updating this page periodically as new information arrives. As of June 2021, it is unknown if there will be fireworks in Wailea for New Year’s Eve 2021/2022. With COVID-19 restrictions, events that would gather large crowds are prohibited. As cases reduce, restrictions could be lifted, so we will have to wait and see what the situation is in December.
Note that some links to tour boat companies may have 2020 information and/or show sold out Please check directly with them for the possibility that you can book for the upcoming New Year’s Eve.
*** Subscribe to our free newsletters to get tips for your Hawaii vacation in addition to being alerted when this page is complete. Carefully enter your email address at this link for your free subscription.
Is Maui your destination to celebrate New Year’s Eve to welcome in 2022? What an amazing island to say goodbye to 2021 and aloha to 2022!
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Maui
Wailea resort traditionally puts on a big fireworks show, but that was canceled in 2020. Will they have a fireworks show for New Year’s Eve 2021/2022? That’s still to be determined.
Local residents across the island put on informal displays. So, there’s a chance for you to see fireworks even if there are no formal shows in Wailea. Whether there are formal or informal fireworks shows, one of the best ways to see either is by a special New Year’s Eve tour boat cruise. There are several options to consider:
- Pacific Whale Foundation is offering a number of New Year’s Eve cocktail cruises that depart from either Ma’alaea or Lahaina harbors. Lahaina Harbor is closer to the West Maui resorts, but parking in Lahaina can be challenging at times. Ma’alaea Harbor is closer to Wailea than Lahaina, but parking is much available in the large parking lot by the Maui Ocean Center. (When checking availability, make sure that you are choosing the date of 12/31/2021 as their booking engine sometimes automatically advances the cruise into the next year of availability when a particular cruise is sold out.) See this link for a listing of their special New Year’s Eve cruises from Pacific Whale Foundation.
- Alii Nui has an adults-only New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with food and drink. It’s pricy, but it does include transportation from most hotels to and from the cruise harbor, which is very convenient for this holiday. We have taken one of their snorkel cruises and they do a nice job.
- Waitlisted: Pride of Maui offers a New Year’s Eve cruise. We have been on a sunset dinner sail with Pride of Maui and they do a nice job. They typically sell out quickly.
- Kai Kanani offers special New Year’s Eve fireworks cruises departing from South Maui, which is convenient for folks who are staying in Kihei, Wailea and Makena. See this link for more information.
New Year’s Eve Dining on Maui
Many of Maui’s restaurants will offer a festive environment to celebrate the evening. If you are staying in a resort, chances are that the restaurant(s) at your resort will be offering a special dinner. Check with your concierge to learn more about the options that will be convenient to you.
A really good site to help you research restaurants that have reservations available is OpenTable.com. Some of our favorite Maui restaurants that are open for New Year’s Eve are:
- Duke’s Beach House at Houna Kai Resort in North Kaanapali offers an open-air, casual atmosphere. Save room for a hula pie dessert.
- Hula Grill in Kaanapali is right by the beach. Their Barefoot Bar, which serves a limited menu, has tables in the sand.
- Pacific’O is on the beach in Lahaina. They serve mostly locally sourced, organic ingredients.
- Kimo’s sits on a prime ocean front space in Lahaina town with open-air seating. The atmosphere is lively.
Special New Year’s Eve Luau – TBD for 2021/2022
The following luau companies are offering a special luau for New Year’s Eve: Holiday Luau at Grand Wailea – see this link for more information. Other luaus may be open on New Year’s Eve at their standard opening times – generally starting between 4:30pm and 6:30pm. See our list of Maui luaus.
Special New Year’s Eve Dining on Maui
Maui hotels and restaurants may offer special events and dinner options for New Year’s Eve. They do not typically announce these events until December.
If there’s a particular restaurant you want to book for New Year’s Eve, we recommend you secure your desired dinner reservation as quickly as possible.
If you book at a restaurant that is not at your resort, we recommend you inquire about parking options so that you are prepared. Some venues have valet-only parking while others may have ample self-parking.
- We aim to keep this list of New Year’s Eve events updated as we are made aware of information. So, do check back for more details.
- Pick up a copy of the Maui News, the island’s newspaper, when you’re on Maui to find more information and advertisements for additional dining, parties and celebrations around the island.
- While you’re in Maui start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii.
- Please note that events are subject to change without notice.