This page is updated for New Year’s Eve 2019/2020!
Is Maui your destination to celebrate New Year’s Eve to welcome in 2020? If so, you’ll find fireworks, festive dinners and a lot of warm aloha. Here’s what’s going on around Maui for New Year’s Eve, December 31, 2019.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Maui
Local residents across the island put on informal displays. So, there’s a chance for you to see fireworks even if there are no formal shows near your accommodation.
As far as formal fireworks go, for many years running, the island’s biggest fireworks show is held in Wailea on the beach fronting the beautiful Grand Wailea. This spectacular midnight display will be visible from the Grand Wailea and Wailea Beach.
If you are staying in Wailea, check with your resort’s concierge for advice for where to view the New Year’s Eve fireworks from the beach. If you are staying somewhere beyond Wailea, ask locals for their recommendations for viewing the fireworks. We can’t say for certain how visible the fireworks might be from points beyond Wailea.
If you are not staying in Wailea, but you’d like to see the fireworks, we have some excellent suggestions:
> Take a New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise. (Update: all cruises are sold out!) The following companies are advertising special New Year’s Eve cruises to include fireworks views. If you are interested in one of theses cruises, you should book as soon as possible as many of them sell out every year.
- Pacific Whale Foundation is offering a number of New Year’s Eve cocktail cruises that depart from either Ma’alaea or Lahaina. Lahaina Harbor is closer to the West Maui resorts, but parking in Lahaina can be challenging to find at times. Ma’alaea Harbor is closer to Wailea than Lahaina, but parking is much easier, in the large parking lot by the Maui Ocean Center. When checking availability, make sure that you are choosing the date of 12/31/2019 as their booking engine sometimes automatically advances the cruise into the next year of availability when a particular cruise is sold out. The fireworks cruises on Pacific Whale Foundation are open to both adults and children. Pricing starts at $95 per child and $135 per adult plus tax. You can save 10% by booking online with them. See this link for a listing of their special New Year’s Eve cruises.
- Trilogy has an adults-only New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with food and drink for $249. They limit to 40 guests. We’ve been on several Trilogy snorkel cruises and they do a nice job. This cruise will sell out.
- Alii Nui’s has an adults-only New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with food and drink. It’s pricy at $299 per person, but it does include transportation from most hotels to and from the cruise harbor, which is very convenient for this holiday. We have taken one of their snorkel cruises and they do a nice job. This cruise will sell out.
- Waitlisted: Pride of Maui offers a New Year’s Eve cruise for $149 per person. We have been on a sunset dinner sail with Pride of Maui and they do a nice job.
> Dine in Wailea, then stick around for the New Year’s Eve Fireworks. If you need to “kill time”, we suggest, walking the Wailea path, pop into some of the resorts for a refreshment and browse the Shops at Wailea. We highly recommend you book a table as soon as possible. Here’s a list of Wailea area restaurants to fit any budget:
- Nick’s Fishmarket Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani is one of our favorite Wailea restaurants. If you have dinner here, you should be able to walk along the Wailea path where the fireworks can be seen. This restaurant has elevated, slightly distant, ocean views.
- Monkeypod Kitchen is another one of our favorite Wailea restaurants and it’s relatively easy on the wallet, too. It does not have very direct ocean views, though. From the restaurant, you could walk down the hill to Wailea beaches.
- Manoli’s Pizza Company offers inexpensive Italian fare with golf course views. From the restaurant, you could walk down the hill to Wailea Beach.
- Enter in your search criteria at OpenTable.com for more restaurant availability.
Special New Year’s Eve Luau
The following luau companies are offering a special luau for New Year’s Eve:
- Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in Kaanapali hosts a late luau starting at 9pm. For more information, see this link and click on their “Holiday Bookings” button.
- The Feast at Mokapu which is held at the Andaz Maui in Wailea hosts a special New Year’s Eve luau starting at 9pm.
- Other luaus are open on New Year’s Eve at their standard opening times – generally between 4:30pm and 6:30pm. See our list of Maui luaus.
Advice for New Year’s Eve dining on Maui
Most resort restaurants will be open for New Year’s Eve with many offering a special menu and events. Check directly with your hotel to determine what they will be offering.
A quick way to check availability for your party is to search for Maui restaurants with your preferred date and time on OpenTable.com. (Be sure and modify the search criteria to customize it for your desired time and number of persons in your group.) It’s not a comprehensive list of Maui restaurants, but it does feature many of the top restaurants with ratings and reviews.
We recommend you secure your desired dinner reservation as quickly as possible. If you book at a restaurant that is not at your resort, we recommend you inquire about parking options so that you are prepared. Some venues have valet-only parking while others may have ample self-parking.
- We aim to keep this list of New Year’s Eve events updated as we are made aware of information. So, do check back for more details.
- Pick up a copy of the Maui News, the island’s newspaper, when you’re on Maui to find more information and advertisements for additional dining, parties and celebrations around the island.
- While you’re in Maui start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii.
- Please note that events are subject to change without notice.