Important note: You may want to subscribe to our free newsletter to be notified when this page is fully up to date. It will be in flux until mid/late December as we update it with the new events. In the meantime, you can get an idea of what might be happening by reviewing this page. Our newsletters are generally issued twice a week — typically Tuesdays and Fridays. It has information and inspiration for Hawaii travel ideas. Carefully enter your email address at this link to begin receiving our newsletters. (You may unsubscribe at any time via clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every newsletter.)
Is Maui your destination to celebrate New Year’s Eve to welcome in 2023? What an amazing island to say goodbye to 2022 and aloha to 2023!
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Maui
*Best chance of seeing midnight fireworks on Maui*
Wailea resort traditionally puts on a big fireworks show in front of the Grand Wailea Resort. Will they have a fireworks show for New Year’s Eve 2022/2023? We are seeing strong signals that they will! Wailea New Year’s Eve fireworks are not widely publicized due to limited parking in the area. As such, the area resorts keep a tight lip on the festivities.
Local residents across the island put on informal displays. So, there’s a chance for you to see fireworks even if there are no formal shows in Wailea. Whether there are formal or informal fireworks shows, one of the best ways to see either is by a special New Year’s Eve tour boat cruise. These tours book quickly – some months in advance. There are several options to consider:
- Pacific Whale Foundation is offering a number of New Year’s Eve cocktail cruises that depart from either Ma’alaea or Lahaina harbors. Lahaina Harbor is closer to the West Maui resorts, but parking in Lahaina can be challenging at times. Ma’alaea Harbor is closer to Wailea than Lahaina, but parking is much more available in the large parking lot by the Maui Ocean Center. (When checking availability, make sure that you are choosing the date of 12/31/2022 as their booking engine sometimes automatically advances the cruise into the next year of availability when a particular cruise is sold out.) See this link for a listing of their special New Year’s Eve cruises from Pacific Whale Foundation.
- Alii Nui has an adults-only New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with food and drink. It’s pricy, but it does include transportation from most hotels to and from the cruise harbor, which is very convenient for this holiday. We have taken one of their snorkel cruises and they do a nice job.
- Pride of Maui offers a New Year’s Eve cruise. We have been on a sunset dinner sail with Pride of Maui and they do a nice job. They typically sell out quickly.
New Year’s Eve Dining on Maui
Many of Maui’s restaurants will offer a festive environment to celebrate the evening. If you are staying in a resort, chances are that the restaurant(s) at your resort will be offering a special dinner. Check with your concierge to learn more about the options that will be convenient to you.
If there’s a particular restaurant you want to book for New Year’s Eve, we recommend you secure your desired dinner reservation as quickly as possible.
If you book at a restaurant that is not at your resort, we recommend you inquire about parking options so that you are prepared. Some venues have valet-only parking while others may have ample self-parking.
A really good site to help you research restaurants that have reservations available is OpenTable.com.
New Year’s Eve Luau – To be determined for 2022/2023
Going to a luau and enjoying the pageantry of the Polynesian dances is a fun and unique way to enjoy the holiday evening. Luaus have reopened after closures due to COVID, but a lot has changed with luaus from “the old normal.” With social distancing, the capacity of luaus has decreased. As such, it’s difficult to get a reservation unless you’re booking far in advance. You can check out our Maui luau list.
We’ll note companies that are offering a New Year’s Eve luau below:
- To be determined for 2022/2023
New Year’s Eve Parties on Maui – To be determined for 2022
Please note that the following events that are listed are from New Year’s Eve 2021/2022. These venues will not announce what they’ll offer for the coming New Year’s Eve until November at the earliest and most likely December. In the meantime, we thought it would be helpful to see what occurred last year so that you can get an idea of what may happen this coming year.
Here are some opportunities to put on your dancing shoes for New Year’s Eve on Maui.
- Taverna in Kapalua is hosting a Maui New Year’s Eve Party with a DJ, dance floor, photo booth and midnight balloon drop. See this link for more information.
- Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina hosts All That Glitters & Gold 2022 party with food, dancing and a midnight champagne toast. See this link for more information.
- Down The Hatch Maui in Lahaina is hosting a Alice-In-Wonderland-themed New Year’s Eve party called NYE 2022 – Down the Rabbit Hatch. See this link for the details.
- Mulligans on the Blue in Wailea is hosting a 2022 Near Years Eve party with live music and the option for either dinner and show or show-only. This restaurant has ocean views. (Added 12/28)
- Nalu’s South Shore Grill in Kihei hosts an special New Year’s Eve Party – Kanekoa Back to the Eighties. This is a benefit event for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Hawaii. See this link for more information. (Added 12/28)
- Many of the luxury resorts offer special New Year’s Eve parties, too. They’re generally not advertised as they want to reserve the space for guests of their hotel. So, check directly with your resort for special holiday events.
- We aim to keep this list of New Year’s Eve events updated as we are made aware of information. So, do check back for more details.
- Pick up a copy of the Maui News, the island’s newspaper, when you’re on Maui to find more information and advertisements for additional dining, parties and celebrations around the island.
- While you’re in Maui start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii.
- Please note that events are subject to change without notice.
- Subscribe to our free newsletters to get news and tips for your Hawaii vacation. Carefully enter your email address at this link for your free subscription.