This Waikiki Thanksgiving page is updated for 2020! We will update for Thanksgiving 2021 in November 2021.
Waikiki is a very popular destination to visit for the Thanksgiving holiday. While many North American residents be dressed for chilly weather, Honolulu visitors will be donning swimsuits, shorts and Aloha shirts for Waikiki’s endless summer weather.
COVID-19 has altered just about everything in 2020 — including Thanksgiving. Here’s a summary of the differences:
- Less restaurants are open overall. Some did not survive. shutdown. Some are waiting to open in December or beyond.
- Restaurants can only operate at much reduced capacity.
- Restaurant seating is limited to only five people per table.
- Self-serve buffets are not allowed.
- Some restaurants that normally host special Thanksgiving meals are opting to provide to-go or take-away meals. If you have a nice balcony/lanai, you could have your Thanksgiving meal there. Alternatively, find a nice spot on Waikiki Beach for Thanksgiving on the beach.
- Everyone must wear a mask when in public in Hawaii.
- See a list of the Oahu restrictions.
Now, f you are one of the lucky ones planning a trip to Waikiki over this Thanksgiving, we’ve created this guide for where to dine and what special events to catch over Thanksgiving weekend.
Waikiki Thanksgiving Dinner Buffets & Dinner Cruises
The following Waikiki Beach restaurants are offering special Thanksgiving dinner buffets. Most of the including traditional Thanksgiving fare with turkey and traditional Thanksgiving sides. If a restaurant has an ocean view, we make note of that.
— Rock-A-Hula has a special Thanksgiving Dinner and Show presentation.
Thanksgiving Meals To-Go
— Hula Grill Waikiki at Outrigger Waikiki Beach: Thanksgiving Meals to Go for $33 for a individual meal or $118 for dinner for four. See the menu here.
Waikiki Thanksgiving A La Carte & Prix-Fixe (Set Menu) Dining
The following Waikiki Beach restaurants are offering Thanksgiving-themed menus for dining at the restaurant. In some cases the restaurant’s standard, a la carte menu will also be available.
— Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel: Thanksgiving Day Prix-Fixe Four Course Dinner $64. See the menu here. This restaurant has an ocean front view. It is located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki.
Other Waikiki Thanksgiving Dining Options
Couldn’t find what you were looking for yet? Are you having trouble making reservations? Enter your desired time, date, location on OpenTable to search for available options. Make sure you adjust the search criteria to suit your needs.
Holiday events and things to see and do in Waikiki over Thanksgiving weekend
– The Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki holds their Holiday Kick Off event on Wednesday, November 25th by lighting their 34-foot Christmas tree. The lighting event will be available to watch live on Facebook. See this link for more information.
– The 46th Annual Turkey Trot is going virtual this year. This is a fun run/walk has distance options ranging from two miles to ten miles. This event will be held from November 21 to 28. Learn more here.
– Unfortunately, the Waikiki Holiday Parade is cancelled for 2020.
— Most of the “to-go” turkey meals for take out/away need to be pre-ordered at least a day or two before Thanksgiving Day.
— Pricing does not typically include taxes and gratuity. Verify pricing when you book.
— Some restaurants allow children under the age of five to dine for free.
— We recommend you make reservations as quickly as possible.
— We may be adding more Thanksgiving dinner options and events so do check back.
– When you arrive on island, check with the concierge for additional Thanksgiving dining and events at your resort and pick up a copy of the Star-Advertiser.