For current Maui Christmas events, click on this link: Maui Christmas Holiday Events
For current year’s New Year’s Eve UPDATE, see this link: Maui New Year’s Eve Fireworks & Events
The list below is for 2008 for reference purposes only. Many links will no longer work. Once again, for 2012 updates, click on the above links.
If you’re going to be on Maui this December, you’ll find tons of excellent holiday celebrations and events. Here’s the most comprehensive list of what’s going on throughout the holidays including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve.
Christmas Eve – Wednesday, December 24, 2008
* Santa will be at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua in the Alaloa Lounge from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. This lounge will also have live entertainment and a hula dancer from 4:00pm to 8:00pm. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* Both the Terrace and the Banyan Tree restaurants at the Kapalua Ritz-Carlton will have festive Christmas Eve dinners that include entertainment. The Terrace Christmas Eve dinner will include a special holiday menu. The Banyan Tree dinner will include a four-course dinner for $100 or you can order a la carte. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* Santa will be at the main lobby of the Grand Wailea Resort by the Gingerbread Village from 5:00pm to 8:00pm.
* Watch the “Chronicles of Narnia: Prince of Caspian” under the Maui sky at the Grand Wailea Resort. Viewing is complimentary. Snacks will be available for purchase. The show starts at 7:30pm. Call (808)875-1234 ext 4754 for location and questions.
* Christmas Eve Service starts at 10:00pm at the Wailea Seaside Chapel at the Grand Wailea Resort.
* Christmas Eve services at Hope Chapel on 300 E. Welakahao Road in Kihei at 4pm, 6pm, and 8pm. Children church will be offered at 4pm and 6pm. The 8pm service is a candlelight service.
Christmas Day – Thursday, December 25, 2008
* Christmas Day Service will be celebrated at the Wailea Seaside Chapel on the grounds of the Grand Wailea Resort.
* Kaanapali Beach Hotel will host a Christmas buffet including prime rib, rotisserie roasted goose, lamb and turkey. The buffet goes from 11am to 1:30pm and cost $38.95 for adults and $20 for children. See this link for more information.
* The Pacific Whale Foundation is offering a Christmas brunch and dinner cruises to celebrate the day. See this link for a look at the menu and prices.
* A Holiday Buffet Feast will be offered that the Grand Dining Room Maui at the Grand Wailea Resort from 2:00pm to 9:00pm. The cost is $75 for adults and $37 for children. See this link for the menu.
* The Terrace Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua will feature a Christmas Day buffet with live music from 3:00pm to 8:00pm. The price is $85 for adults and includes a glass of champagne. The cost for children is $42.50. Taxes and gratuity are extra. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* A special four-course holiday menu will be featured at The Banyan Tree Restaurant of the Kapalua Ritz-Carlton for $100. Entertainment will be provided. This dinner will be served from 5:30pm to 9:30pm. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* The Alaloa Lounge of the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua will include live entertainment and a hula dancer from 4:00pm to 8:00pm. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
Friday, December 26, 2008
* The Pacific Whale Foundation will offer a special Christmas stargazing cruise led by expert astronomer Harriett Witt on this starlight cocktail and appetizer cruise. For the holiday, Harriett will focus on the Christmas Star and other seasonal celestial phenomena. This cruise departs from Lahaina Harbor at 7:30pm. For prices and more information, see this link and scroll to the Christmas Stargazing Cruise listing.
* The Alaloa Lounge of the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua will include live entertainment and a hula dancer from 4:00pm to 8:00pm.
New Year’s Eve – Wednesday, December 31, 2008
* The Pacific Whale Foundation has some special New Year’s Eve dinner and cocktail cruises. Some cruises include the opportunity to see fireworks from the water. They all sound very romantic. See more about these special cruises here.
* From the Grand Wailea Resort plans a New Year’s Eve Celebration that will include food, entertainment and a fireworks extravaganza to welcome in 2009. Call (808)875-1234 for more information.
* The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua will host a special New Year’s Eve Luau in the Aloha Garden Ballroom from 7:00pm to 10:00pm. The luau will include all an imu ceremony, the traditional island foods, Hawaiian entertainment and an exciting fire knife dance. The cost is $115 for adults and $55 for children inclusive of tax and gratuity. Call the concierge at (808) 669-6200 for more information and reservations.
* The Kaanapali Beach Hotel will offer a 4-course dinner at the Tiki Terrace Restaurant, Kapanaha Magic Show Dinner Theater, and New Year’s Party. See this link for more details of these three special events.
* The Banyan Tree Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua will offer a festive four-course prix fixe dinner for $125 as well as an a la carte menu with live entertainment. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* Live music and hula dancers will be featured at the Alaloa Lounge of the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua from 8:00pm to 2:00am. For restaurant and lounge information, see this link.
* Non-alcoholic adult Latin and Ballroom Dance Party will be held at the Aloha Ballroom of the Kihei Community Center from 8:30pm to 12:30pm. The event is catered with appetizers and there will be live music with Neto Peraza and Rita’s DJ mixes. At midnight, there will be a sparkling cider toast. Festive attire is suggested. Tickets are $25. Contact Cindy Dawson at 808-442-2223 for more information.
* The Pride of Maui will have a special New Year’s Eve cruise that leaves Maalaea Harbor at 10:15pm and returns at 1:15am. You’ll be able to see fireworks, have appetizers and enjoy live entertainment. The cost is $129.95 for adults and $89.95 for children. For more information, see this link.
Other Special Maui Holiday Events in December
* After a special holiday lighting celebration on December 6th and 7th, the famous Banyan Tree in Lahaina will be lit every evening throughout the holiday season.
* Maui Ocean Center has a fishy take on the twelve days of Christmas. They’re hosting the Twelve Days of FISH-mas from December 14th – 25th. In addition to their regular excellent aquarium exhibits, there will be special Christmas-themed entertainment.
* The word on the street from the North Pole is that Santa will leave the North Pole on December 22nd and arrive in Maui first. I know a certain well informed elf by the name of Kaz that tells me that Santa will arrive at the Kamaole Beach Park 2 in front of the Hale Pau Hana Resort at 9:00am.
* I also hear that Santa will make an appearance at the Fairmont Kea Lani Resort in Wailea. Call (808) 875-4100 for more information.
* The Lahaina Cannery Mall has free entertainment almost every day of December leading up to Christmas. Choirs will be singing on December 19th at 7:00pm and December 21st at noon. There are several free hula performances throughout December. Call (808) 661-5304 for more information.
For more options, consider a day trip or overnight stay to Lanai by a short ferry ride. Here’s what’s going on on Lanai for the holidays.
I will update this list as and when I discover more Maui Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve events. Stay tuned to all top news, reviews, travel advice for Hawaii visitors with free daily e-mail updates or via RSS subscription.
As they say on the islands, Mele Kalikimaka!