This page will be updated for New Year’s Eve 2020/2021 in November and December 2020. Subscribe to our free updates to be notified when this page is fully updated.
In the meantime, take a look at the listings from this past New Year’s Eve. Many venues will be offering something similar for the coming year, though probably more expensive.
Will you be ringing in the new year on Oahu? If so, you’ll find many festive ways to bid farewell to 2019 and welcome in 2020 with warm aloha. Here’s what’s happening this New Year’s Eve (Tuesday, December 31, 2019) on the island of Oahu.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
* Waikiki Beach will host a spectacular fireworks show from a barge just off Waikiki Beach. The show starts at 11:55pm with one announcement firework every minute before midnight. Then at midnight, the big fireworks show begins. You can listen to the music timed with the fireworks via radio. For more information, see this link. This fireworks show is free and open to the public. You can watch the display from the beach or from some of the party venues listed in the next section.
* Hilton Hawaiian Village will have a special 11pm fireworks show over their lagoon as part of their New Year’s Eve Celebration Dinner Show on the Great Lawn. We provide more details on this special event in the next section.
* Ko Olina fireworks at midnight per Hawaii News Now.
* Could the Honolulu “Party of the Year” be back again this year? As of our last check there weren’t any details, but we’ll keep checking. You can check as well here.
New Year’s Eve Parties, Celebrations, Clubs in and around Waikiki
In addition to the parties mentioned in the above firework’s section, there are quite a few more venues hosting events for this special evening. If you want to dress to impress and dance in the new year, most of the following venues will offer that sort of festive evening. Note that many of the following venues will have views of the Waikiki fireworks, which try to note with each description.
* Tiki’s Waikiki 2020 New Year’s Eve Soiree Dinner & Party hosted by Tiki’s Grill and Bar at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel includes live DJ spinning and views of the Waikiki Beach fireworks show from their ocean view location directly across Kalakaua Avenue. See this link for more information about the party and dinner and to purchase tickets. Ticket prices increase as we get closer to New Year’s Eve. You can get wristbands for the party with their four-course New Year’s Eve dinner priced at $85++ per person. See that menu at this link.
* New Year’s Eve at Surfjack hosts a dance party with DJ Kyle Woods. Price at the door is $50. Learn more here.
* This year’s New Year’s Eve party theme at the oceanfront Moana Surfrider is Around The World. This is Waikiki’s most kid-friendly New Year’s Eve event. The Waikiki fireworks show can be viewed from the Moana Surfrider. Early bird pre-sale tickets start at $100 for adults and $50 for children. See the full details of the event here.
* New Year’s Eve Party at RumFire, an oceanfront poolside night club at the Sheraton Waikiki, will feature multiple DJs for their New Year’s Eve Celebration 2020: Rio Carnival. Guests must be age 21 or older. Guests will be able to see the Waikiki fireworks from RumFire. Pre-sale (through December 14) tickets start at $110. Then, ticket pricing increases. See this link for more information.
* 53 by the Sea presents Midnight in Paris New Year’s Eve 2020 party. Pricing starts at $150 per person. This party is black-tie optional. See the details here. This oceanfront restaurant is located in the Kakaako area of Honolulu and is less than a 15 minute drive from Waikiki.
* New Year’s Eve Celebration Dinner Show on the Great Lawn at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This special event includes the option for a four or seven-course dinner. After dinner enjoy a concert featuring performances by Blayne Asing, Honoka, and Manoa DNA. For the finale – watch a fireworks display over Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon. Guests will then have an opportunity to find a great spot on Waikiki Beach to enjoy the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. Pricing starts at $300 for adults, $250 for children. See this link for more details.
* The Royal Hawaiian hosts their annual New Year’s Eve Party with views of the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. This year’s theme is “Adventures in Wonderland.” All tickets include food stations, live DJ spinning and party favors. There are several options and ticket pricing. The “general” tickets are open for both adults at $250 and child pricing at $175. For more information see this link.
Honolulu New Year’s Eve Cocktail & Dinner Cruises
* The Star of Honolulu is offering special fireworks cruises:
- New Year’s Eve Celebration Cruise
- New Year’s Eve Romance Dinner, Jazz & Fireworks Cruise
- New Year’s Eve Admiral’s Dinner, Jazz & Fireworks Cruise
* The Dolphin Star is offering a Cocktail & Fireworks Cruise.
Waikiki New Year’s Eve Dinner Buffets & Luau
* Waikiki Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village presents a special New Year’s Eve luau including live music, cultural activities, buffet dinner and Polynesian dance show. Pricing is $175 for adults and $140 for children. Book online or call 808-941-5828 for more information and reservations.
* Rock a Hula presents a special luau buffet dinner plus show. The cost is $149 per adult and $89 per child. See this link for more information.
* Also see the Pride of Honolulu and Dolphin Star dinner and cocktail cruise options listed in the above section.
Special New Year’s Eve Dining in Waikiki – Prix-Fixe/Set Menu Dinners
* Tiki’s at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is offering a four-course dinner for $85++ per person. You can view the special menu at this link. This restaurant has ocean views. Also, note the Tiki’s Waikiki 2020 New Year’s Eve Soiree that’s mentioned in the above parties section.
* Hau Tree Lanai at the The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel: five courses for $99 per person. See this special New Year’s Eve menu here. This oceanfront restaurant is located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki.
*Stripsteak Waikiki at International Market Place: two set menu options priced at $129 or $159 per person. See the special New Year’s Eve menus here.
* Azure at The Royal Hawaiian: four-course dinner for $250 or $300 per person depending upon seating time. You can review their menu by clicking on the “New Year’s Eve Dinner” link on their webpage. This restaurant has ocean front views.
Other Waikiki Restaurants Open for New Year’s Eve
The following notable restaurants are open and have seating available on New Year’s Eve at the time of publishing. They may offer a special menu for the evening, however that information was not available at the time of publishing. Ocean views are noted where available.
- Tropics Bar & Grill at the Hilton Hawaiian Village will offer special New Year’s Eve menu items. This restaurant is beach front.
- Hula Grill at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is ocean front.
- Reef Bar and Market Grill at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach is beach front.
- D. K. Steak House at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar Waikiki at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Ruth Chris Steak House at the Waikiki Beach Walk – this restaurant usually provides special holiday menus in addition to their standard menu.
- Wolfgang’s Steakhouse Waikiki
- Check for more Waikiki restaurant availability at OpenTable.com. Make sure you customize the search criteria for your desired time and number in your party.
As you’re making your Waikiki, Honolulu and Oahu New Year’s Eve plans and reviewing this list of great things to do, please note the following:
- We recommend you make reservations, order tickets, etc. as soon as possible to secure the place and time you like.
- Unless otherwise stated, you can assume that taxes and gratuities are not included in the listed prices. Verify those details when you make your booking.
- In some cases, children age five years and under dine free, but verify that when making reservations.
- All pricing, schedules and plans were accurate at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
- Several Waikiki Beach hotel-based restaurants will be open on New Year’s Eve. Check directly with the concierge of your accommodations for their special meals and events.
- As New Year’s Eve approaches, I’ll be adding more events, so do check back. We will indicate additions by noting the date added.
- If you are visiting Waikiki at Christmastime, see our Waikiki Christmas Guide.
- Learn how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii: Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!