We wish we were all in healthier and happier times. Normally, we have this page brimming with special New Year’s Eve fireworks, parties and celebrations. Unfortunately, COVID-19 restrictions on Oahu have basically eliminated any of the normal special events.
Hawaii is very slowly reopening hotels and restaurants. Some have opened, while others may still take months to reopen. Unfortunately, some restaurants did not survive and have closed permanently.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, bars and nightclubs are closed. So, that means that none of the usual venues that typically host New Year’s Eve parties will be open at all.
Though this New Year’s Eve in Waikiki Beach will be much more subdued compared to years past, the beauty of the area continues. Oahu will still be a special place to be when 2021 arrives!
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
Oahu’s main fireworks event at Waikiki Beach has been cancelled for this New Year’s Eve. We are not aware of any other fireworks event on the island, however we will keep checking and will update this section with any events that come to light.
New Year’s Eve Parties, Celebrations, Clubs in and around Waikiki
In year’s past, we’ve listed about dozen or so special events, but sadly, in 2020/2021, the coronavirus has changed things dramatically. As we previously mentioned, bars and nightclubs are closed due to restrictions. It is unlikely that case counts drop to a lower levels which would allow special parties/celebrations.
So, what’s going on that’s party-ish? Here are some suggestions:
- Tiki’s Grill & Bar at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel has a special five-course menu along with live music and New Year’s countdowns from around the world. See this link for more information. This restaurant has ocean views.
- TBD Hawaii has a special New Year’s Eve prix fixe menu with two separate seatings to coincide with the clock striking midnight on either the east coast or west coast of the USA. Champagne toasts accompany the countdowns. This restaurant is located near the foot of Diamond Head. It would be a bit of a walk from Waikiki, but with ocean views all along the way.
Honolulu New Year’s Eve Cocktail & Dinner Cruises
Unfortunately, the usual dinner and cocktail cruises are not operating in New Years Eve 2020/2021.
Waikiki New Year’s Eve Dinner Buffets & Luau
Due to the coronavirus and Oahu’s restaurant restrictions, self-serve buffets are not allowed. However, buffets are allowed if dedicated servers place the food on the plate. Here are special New Year’s Eve and/or New Year’s Day buffets:
- 100 Sails Restaurant at Prince Waikiki. See this link for their special New Year’s Eve and Day buffet menu. This restaurant has ocean/harbor views.
New Year’s Eve Dining in Waikiki – A La Carte or Set/Prix Fixe Menus
Some, but not all Waikiki restaurants are open with limited capacity due to COVID-19 restrictions. We typically list many dining options with special menus for the evening. This year, the focus is on finding restaurants that will be open on New Year’s Eve.
At the moment, the following restaurants plan to be open for New Year’s Eve. If they have a special menu, we will make note of it. Additionally, we’ll indicate if the restaurant has a noteworthy view.
- Duke’s Waikiki at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. This casual restaurant is oceanfront. This one often books up quickly, so if you’re interested, book ASAP.
- Hula Grill Waikiki at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. This casual restaurant is oceanfront. This restaurant often books quickly, so if you’re interested, book ASAP.
- La Vie, a French restaurant, at the Waikiki Ritz-Carlton Residences will be presenting a specialty five-course New Year’s Eve menu. You can access a link to view the menu here. This restaurant has ocean views.
- Tiki’s Grill & Bar at the Aston Waikiki Beach has a special menu along with live music and countdowns from around the world. This restaurant has ocean views. Added December 28.
- The Signature Prime Steak & Seafood on the 36th floor of the Ala Moana Hotel has ocean views.
- TBD Hawaii has a special New Year’s Eve prix fixe menu with two separate seatings to coincide with the clock striking midnight on either the east coast or west coast of the USA. This restaurant is located near the foot of Diamond Head. It would be a bit of a walk from Waikiki, but with ocean views all along the way.
- Deck. at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. This restaurant has excellent views of Diamond Head.
- Merriman’s Honolulu at Ward Village has a special three-course prix fixe dinner. See the menu here. This restaurant is located roughly two miles from the heart of Waikiki. It’s about a 40+ minute walk just one way so, taking the bus or hoping in a cab might be a quicker option.
- Basalt Waikiki at the Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach Hotel has a special dinner menu. They also have special breakfast and lunch menu items to celebrate the day. See this link for those menus.
- Tommy Bahama Restaurant in Waikiki.
- Hideout at the Laylow in Waikiki.
- Roy’s Waikiki at the Waikiki Beach Walk.
- BLT at Trump Waikiki presents a special menu for the holiday season. See this link for more information.
- Ruth Chris at Waikiki Beach Walk.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse in the Royal Hawaiian Center.
Check for more Waikiki/Honolulu/Oahu restaurant availability at OpenTable.com. Make sure you customize the search criteria for your desired time and number in your party.
As you’re making your Waikiki, Honolulu and Oahu New Year’s Eve plans and reviewing this list of great things to do, please note the following:
- We recommend you make reservations, order tickets, etc. as soon as possible to secure the place and time you like.
- All pricing, schedules and plans were accurate at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
- Several Waikiki Beach hotel-based restaurants will be open on New Year’s Eve. Check directly with the concierge of your accommodations for their special meals and events.
- As New Year’s Eve approaches, we may be adding more events, so do check back. We will indicate additions by noting the date added.
- If you are visiting Waikiki at Christmastime, see our Waikiki Christmas Guide.
- Learn how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii: Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!