Will you be ringing in the new year on Oahu? If so, you’ll find many festive ways to bid farewell to 2017 and welcome in 2018 with aloha. Here’s what’s happening this New Year’s Eve (Sunday, December 31, 2017) on the island of Oahu.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
* Waikiki Beach will host a spectacular fireworks show from a barge just off Waikiki Beach. The show starts at 11:55pm with one announcement firework every minute before midnight. Then at midnight, the big fireworks show begins. You can listen to the music timed with the fireworks via radio or app. For more information, see this link. This fireworks show is free and open to the public. You can watch the display from the beach or from some of the party venues listed in the next section.
* Hilton Hawaiian Village will have a special 11pm fireworks show over their lagoon as part of their New Year’s Eve gala on the Great Lawn. We provide more details on this special event in the next section.
* Kahala Hotel & Resort in the Kahala area of Honolulu is hosting a Kahala Masquerade Ball 2018 that includes a buffet, music and midnight fireworks. Pricing starts at $200 for adult guests of the hotel. Pricing for non-guests is $184.50. See this link for more information.
* Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore will host midnight fireworks along with a number of special parties and dining options. (Added 12/21)
* Ko Olina fireworks are to be determined. We’ve seen good indications that there may likely be midnight fireworks at the lagoon fronting the Four Seasons Oahu and Disney Aulani resorts. If you are staying in Ko Olina, check with your concierge. (Updated 12/21)
* Party of the Year at Aloha Tower Marketplace will have fireworks shows. (Updated 12/21)
New Year’s Eve Parties, Celebrations, Clubs & Cruises in and around Waikiki
In addition to the parties mentioned in the above firework’s section, there are quite a few more venues hosting events for this special evening. If you want to dress to impress and dance in the new year, most of the following venues will offer that sort of festive evening. Note that many of the following venues will have views of the Waikiki fireworks, which try to note with each description.
* Tiki Drop 2018 Waikiki New Year’s Eve Party at Tiki’s Grill and Bar at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel includes live bands, DJs and view of the Waikiki Beach fireworks show from their ocean view location directly across Kalakaua Avenue. See this link for more information and to purchase tickets. Pre-sale tickets start at $5. Note that entrance into the party is free if you have their four-course New Year’s Eve dinner priced at $79 per person. See that menu at this link.
* New Year’s Eve Celebration: Under the Sea at the Moana Surfrider is Waikiki’s most kid-friendly New Year’s Eve event. They’ll host live music, Polynesian dance shows, mermaids at the pool and kid-friendly activities. Of course from the beachfront location, guests will have nice views of the midnight fireworks. Pre-sale ticket pricing starts at $100 for adults and $50 for children. See this link for more information. Note that there are also four and six-course dinner options with discounted tickets available prior to the party, which we have listed in the dining section.
* New Year’s Eve Party at RumFire, an oceanfront poolside night club at the Sheraton Waikiki, will feature multiple DJs for their New Year’s Eve Celebration: The Seven Kingdoms. Guests must be age 21 or older. Guests will be able to see the Waikiki fireworks from RumFire. Tickets start at $100, which is the pre-sale price through December 20. Then, ticket pricing increases to $120. See this link for more information.
* New Year’s Eve Great Lawn Gala at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This special event includes a four-course dinner, performances by Henry Kapono and the Dukes of Surf along with a special 11pm fireworks over the lagoon. Guests will then have an opportunity to find a great spot on Waikiki Beach to enjoy the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. Ticket pricing is $300 for adults, $260 for children. Military and kama’aina price is $256 per adult and $206 per child. See this link for more details.
* The Royal Hawaiian hosts their annual New Year’s Eve Pink Party at the Monarch Terrace, Ocean Lawn and Mai Tai Bar with views of the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. All tickets include food stations, live DJ dancing and party favors. Note that this party is sold out, however, if you dine with Azure for their special New Year’s Eve dinner ($250 for first seating and $275 for second seating) you will get a ticket to the Pink Party. For more information see the menu under the New Year’s Eve tab here plus more information at this link.
* The Star of Honolulu and Dolphin Star are is offering special cocktail or dinner cruises that include views of the midnight fireworks.
* Atlantis Cruises is offering a special New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise. (Added 12/28)
* SKY Waikiki hosts a New Year’s Eve Masquerade Party. This event includes hor d’oeuvres, hosted bar and a complimentary champagne toast at midnight while enjoying the midnight Waikiki fireworks. Ticket packages start at $150. See this link for more information.
* Addiction Nightclub at The Modern Honolulu plans a New Year’s Eve party. Details TBD.
* The New Years Eve Party of the Year will be a two-night event this year. On Saturday, the festivities start with a concert on Saturday at the Kaka’ako Waterfront Park. On Sunday, the New Year’s Eve party will be held at Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu. Ticket for the New Year’s Eve party start at $45. This party touts that they have “Hawaii’s largest New Year’s Eve fireworks show.” (Updated 12/21)
* Las Vegas Style New Year’s Eve at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore will include a buffet, DJs, dancing, a champagne toast and exclusive access to the midnight fireworks show. Pricing starts at $110 for adults and $55 for children. See this link for the details and more information. (Added 12/21)
* New Year’s Eve 2018 Party at Turtle Bay Resort‘s Surfer, The Bar includes live music featuring Ozomatti and DJ Kyahnasun. Tickets start at $105 (pre-sale) and include pupus, champagne toast and midnight fireworks viewing. See this link for more information. (Added 12/21)
Special New Year’s Eve dining in Waikiki – Prix-Fixe/Set Menu Dinners
* Tiki’s at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is offering a four-course dinner for $79 per person. You can view the special menu at this link. This restaurant has ocean views. Also, note the Tiki Drop 2018 party that’s mentioned in the above parties section.
* The Beachhouse at the Moana Surfrider will offer a four or six-course dinner at two different seating times. The earlier seating (5:30 – 6:45pm) is four courses priced at $100 for adults and $45 for children. The second seating (7:45 – 10:30pm) offers six courses and is priced at $185 for adults and $75 for children. The menu is shown here — note that two of the courses are for second seating only. Guests for either seating have the option to purchase discounted tickets to the New Year’s Eve Celebration Under the Sea at the banyan tree courtyard. See this link for more information. This restaurant has an ocean view. (Corrected 12/6)
* Hau Tree Lanai at the The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel: Five courses for $99 per person. See this special New Year’s Eve menu here. This oceanfront restaurant is located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki.
* Azure Restaurant at the The Royal Hawaiian will offer two seating options. The earlier seating (5:30pm to 8pm) presents a four-course dinner for $250. A four-course dinner for $275 will be offered at the second seating from 8:30pm to 9:45 pm. See New Year’s Eve tab at this link for the menu. This restaurant has an ocean view. Note that guests will receive entrance to the sold-out Pink Party that’s mentioned under the party section.
* Also see the Pride of Honolulu and Dolphin Star dinner and cocktail cruise options listed in the above section.
Waikiki New Year’s Eve Dinner Buffets & Luau
* Kai Market at Sheraton Waikiki offers a special New Year’s Eve buffet dinner. Note that pricing for the first seating (5:30pm – 6:30pm) is $95 for adults and $45 for children. The second seating (9:00pm to 9:45pm) is more expensive at $195 for indoor seating and $220 for outdoor seating because it includes access to the RumFire New Year’s Eve Party. This restaurant is oceanfront. See this link for more details.
* Waikiki Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village presents a special New Year’s Eve luau including live music, cultural activities, buffet dinner and Polynesian dance show. Pricing is $175 for adults and $145 for children. Call 808-941-5828 for more information and reservations. (Added 12/9)
Other Waikiki Restaurants Open for New Year’s Eve
The following notable restaurants are open and have seating available on New Year’s Eve at the time of publishing. They may offer a special menu for the evening, however that information was not available at the time of publishing. Ocean views are noted where available.
- Tropics Bar & Grill at the Hilton Hawaiian Village will offer special New Year’s Eve menu items. This restaurant is beach front.
- Orchids at the Halekulani is one of our go-to, special occasions Waikiki restaurants. This restaurant is oceanfront.
- House without a Key at the Halekulani has a beautiful lawn/ocean front location with nightly music and hula. If you just want cocktails and pupus (appetizers) this is a great option. They have a full menu as well.
- Hula Grill at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is ocean front.
- Japengo at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach has some ocean views.
- Reef Bar and Market Grill at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach is beach front.
- SKY Waikiki is another option for pupus (appetizers) and cocktails. They have a rooftop location that provides some ocean views.
- D. K. Steak House at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar Waikiki at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Ruth Chris Steak House at the Waikiki Beach Walk – this restaurant usually provides special holiday menus in addition to their standard menu.
- Chart House has waterfront, harbor views.
- Check for more Waikiki restaurant availability at OpenTable.com. We’ve created a starter search via that link. Make sure you modify the search criteria for your desired time and number in your party.
As you’re making your Waikiki, Honolulu and Oahu New Year’s Eve plans and reviewing this list of great things to do, please note the following:
- We recommend you make reservations, order tickets, etc. as soon as possible to secure the place and time you like.
- Unless otherwise stated, you can assume that taxes and gratuities are not included in the listed prices. Verify those details when you make your booking.
- In some cases, children age five years and under dine free, but verify that when making reservations.
- All pricing, schedules and plans were accurate at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
- Several Waikiki Beach hotel-based restaurants will be open on New Year’s Eve. Check directly with the concierge of your accommodations for their special meals and events.
- As New Year’s Eve approaches, I’ll be adding more events, so do check back. We will indicate additions by noting the date added.
- If you are visiting Waikiki at Christmastime, see our Waikiki Christmas Guide.
- Learn how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii: Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!