Will you be ringing in the new year on Oahu? If so, you’ll find many festive ways to bid farewell to 2018 and welcome in 2019 with warm aloha. Here’s what’s happening this New Year’s Eve (Monday, December 31, 2018) on the island of Oahu.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
* Waikiki Beach will host a spectacular fireworks show from a barge just off Waikiki Beach. The show starts at 11:55pm with one announcement firework every minute before midnight. Then at midnight, the big fireworks show begins. You can listen to the music timed with the fireworks via radio. For more information, see this link. This fireworks show is free and open to the public. You can watch the display from the beach or from some of the party venues listed in the next section.
* Hilton Hawaiian Village will have a special 11pm fireworks show over their lagoon as part of their New Year’s Eve gala on the Great Lawn. We provide more details on this special event in the next section.
* The Kahala hosts a private fireworks show for their guests along with their New Year’s Eve Sweet & Sparkle Party. Added 12/21
* Ko Olina fireworks – We have seen indicators that there will be New Year’s Eve fireworks at midnight. Parking is limited in the area.
* For anyone looking for fireworks at Aloha Tower Marketplace, we have confirmed that there will not be fireworks there this year.
New Year’s Eve Parties, Celebrations, Clubs & Cruises in and around Waikiki
In addition to the parties mentioned in the above firework’s section, there are quite a few more venues hosting events for this special evening. If you want to dress to impress and dance in the new year, most of the following venues will offer that sort of festive evening. Note that many of the following venues will have views of the Waikiki fireworks, which try to note with each description.
* Tiki’s New Year’s Eve Starlight Soiree Dinner & Party hosted by Tiki’s Grill and Bar at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel includes live DJ spinning and views of the Waikiki Beach fireworks show from their ocean view location directly across Kalakaua Avenue. See this link for more information about the party and dinner and to purchase tickets. Early pre-sale tickets start at $5. Note that entrance into the party is free if you have their four-course New Year’s Eve dinner priced at $79 per person. See that menu at this link.
* This year’s New Year’s Eve party at the oceanfront Moana Surfrider has a festive circus theme — Under the Banyan Big Top. This is Waikiki’s most kid-friendly New Year’s Eve event. Pre-sale tickets start at $100 for adults and $50 for children. See the full details of the event here. (Added 12/10)
* New Year’s Eve Party at RumFire, an oceanfront poolside night club at the Sheraton Waikiki, will feature multiple DJs for their New Year’s Eve Celebration: Enter The Dragon 2019 NYE. Guests must be age 21 or older. Guests will be able to see the Waikiki fireworks from RumFire. Pre-sale (through December 20) tickets start at $100. Then, ticket pricing increases to $125. See this link for more information.
* 53 by the Sea presents Casino Night in Macau 2019 New Year’s Eve party. Pricing starts at $150 per person. This party is black-tie optional. See the details here. This oceanfront restaurant is located in the Kakaako area of Honolulu and is less than a 15 minute drive from Waikiki.
* New Year’s Eve Great Lawn Gala at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This special event includes a four-course dinner, performances by Monoa DNA and the Dukes of Surf along with a special 11pm fireworks over the lagoon. Guests will then have an opportunity to find a great spot on Waikiki Beach to enjoy the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. Ticket pricing is $300 for adults, $20 for children. See this link for more details.
* The Royal Hawaiian hosts their annual New Year’s Eve Pink Party with views of the midnight Waikiki fireworks show. All tickets include food stations, live DJ spinning and party favors. There are several options and ticket pricing. The “general” tickets are open for both adults at $225 and child pricing at $150. For more information see this link.
* The Star of Honolulu and Dolphin Star are is offering special cocktail or dinner cruises that include views of the midnight fireworks.
* Atlantis Cruises is offering a special New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise.
* SKY Waikiki hosts their 2019 New Year’s Eve Masquerade Party. This event includes hor d’oeuvres, hosted bar and a hosted bar with views of Waikiki’s midnight. Pre-sale tickets start at $120. See this link for more information.
* Addiction Nightclub at The Modern Honolulu will hold their New Year’s Eve party called Crazy Rich NYE 2019. General admission tickets start at $40. See this link for tickets and more information. Updated 12/14
* Rock a Hula presents a special Midnight New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with a choice of two different dinner packages and one cocktail package. See this link for more information. Added 12/28
Waikiki New Year’s Eve Dinner Buffets & Luau
* Waikiki Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village presents a special New Year’s Eve luau including live music, cultural activities, buffet dinner and Polynesian dance show. Pricing is $200 for adults and $165 for children. Book online or call 808-941-5828 for more information and reservations.
* Rock a Hula presents a special luau buffet dinner plus show. The cost is $149 per adult and $89 per child. See this link for more information. Added 12/28
* Also see the Pride of Honolulu and Dolphin Star dinner and cocktail cruise options listed in the above section.
Special New Year’s Eve Dining in Waikiki – Prix-Fixe/Set Menu Dinners
* Tiki’s at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is offering a four-course dinner for $79 per person. You can view the special menu at this link. This restaurant has ocean views. Also, note the Starlight soiree New Year’s Eve party that’s mentioned in the above parties section.
* Hau Tree Lanai at the The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel: Multi-courses for $119 per person. See this special New Year’s Eve menu here. This oceanfront restaurant is located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki.
* Bali Steak and Seafood at the Hilton Hawaiian Village : four-course dinner priced at $175 for adults and $60 for children. See more about their menu here. This restaurant has ocean views. Added 12/21
Other Waikiki Restaurants Open for New Year’s Eve
The following notable restaurants are open and have seating available on New Year’s Eve at the time of publishing. They may offer a special menu for the evening, however that information was not available at the time of publishing. Ocean views are noted where available.
- Tropics Bar & Grill at the Hilton Hawaiian Village will offer special New Year’s Eve menu items. This restaurant is beach front.
- Orchids at the Halekulani is one of our go-to, special occasions Waikiki restaurants. This restaurant is oceanfront.
- House without a Key at the Halekulani has a beautiful lawn/ocean front location with nightly music and hula. If you just want cocktails and pupus (appetizers) this is a great option. They have a full menu as well.
- Hula Grill at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is ocean front.
- Reef Bar and Market Grill at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach is beach front.
- D. K. Steak House at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar Waikiki at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Ruth Chris Steak House at the Waikiki Beach Walk – this restaurant usually provides special holiday menus in addition to their standard menu.
- Check for more Waikiki restaurant availability at OpenTable.com. Make sure you customize the search criteria for your desired time and number in your party.
As you’re making your Waikiki, Honolulu and Oahu New Year’s Eve plans and reviewing this list of great things to do, please note the following:
- We recommend you make reservations, order tickets, etc. as soon as possible to secure the place and time you like.
- Unless otherwise stated, you can assume that taxes and gratuities are not included in the listed prices. Verify those details when you make your booking.
- In some cases, children age five years and under dine free, but verify that when making reservations.
- All pricing, schedules and plans were accurate at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
- Several Waikiki Beach hotel-based restaurants will be open on New Year’s Eve. Check directly with the concierge of your accommodations for their special meals and events.
- As New Year’s Eve approaches, I’ll be adding more events, so do check back. We will indicate additions by noting the date added.
- If you are visiting Waikiki at Christmastime, see our Waikiki Christmas Guide.
- Learn how to say Happy New Year in Hawaii: Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!