This page currently displays events from Christmas 2019. It will be updated for Christmas 2020 in November and December. Subscribe to our free updates to be notified when this page is fully updated.
In the meantime, take a look at the listings from this past Christmas. Many venues will be offering something similar for the upcoming Christmas.
If your idea of a winter wonderland includes sun, sand and gently swaying palm trees, then Waikiki Beach is the place for you! It’s a wonderful place to experience the Christmas season with Aloha.
To help you make your holiday plans, we’ve compiled our annual Waikiki Christmas list. Here you’ll find great holiday dining and event information in the following main categories:
- Christmas Eve brunch and dinner dining in Waikiki
- Christmas Day brunch and dinner dining in Waikiki
- Great holiday-related things to do and see during your visit to Oahu
- Christmas Eve church services
Christmas Eve Dining on Tuesday, December 24, 2019
Christmas Eve Brunch Buffets
Christmas Eve Dinner Buffets & Luau
* Waikiki Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is open for a Christmas Eve luau. This luau will be held on the Great Lawn rather than their normal rooftop location. This link shows the special Christmas buffet menu. Pricing is $175 for adults and $140 per child. Book online or call 808-941-5828 for more information and reservations.
Christmas Eve Set Dinner Menus
* Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Hotel, located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki Beach is offering a couple of different Christmas dinner special menus: four courses for $79 or five courses for $99. See the menu options here. This restaurant is oceanfront.
Christmas Day Brunch/Lunch/Dinner on Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Christmas Dinner Buffets & Luau
* Waikiki Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village presents a special Christmas luau, which will be held on the Great Lawn instead of their usual rooftop venue. In addition to some of their regular menu items, they’re featuring a carving station with prime rib and pumpkin pie is one of the dessert options. Book online or call 808-941-5828 for more information and reservations.
Christmas Set Dinner Menus
* Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Hotel, located on the “Diamond Head side” of Waikiki Beach is offering a couple of different Christmas dinner special menus: four course for $79 or five courses for $99. See the menu options here. This restaurant is oceanfront.
Other Waikiki restaurants that will be open for dinner on Christmas
The following notable Waikiki restaurants are open for Christmas, but have not announced special menus at the time of publishing. Standard menus might be offered in addition to a special Christmas menu. These restaurants may eventually publish special menus, so you may way to check their sites, social media and/or contact them directly for more information.
- Tropics Bar and Grill at the Hilton Hawaiian Village has special Christmas a la carte menu items. This restaurant is beach front.
- Tiki’s Grill at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel has a special Christmas entree item along with their standard menu. This restaurant has ocean views.
- Morimoto Asia at the Alohilani Resort. This restaurant has ocean views.
- Duke’s Waikiki at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. This casual restaurant is oceanfront. This one often books up quickly, so if you’re interested, book ASAP.
- Hula Grill Waikiki at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. This casual restaurant is oceanfront. Just like Duke’s Waikiki, this restaurant often books quickly, so if you’re interested, book ASAP.
- Reef Bar and Market Grill has oceanfront setting at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach.
- DK Steak House at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar Waikiki at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse in the Royal Hawaiian Center.
- Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu
- BLT at Trump Waikiki a special Christmas menu that can be a la carte or a three-course meal. See the menu here.
Christmas Dinner Cruises in Honolulu
Shaka Santa and Mele Tutu by the Christmas tree in front of Honolulu Hale presented as part of Honolulu City Lights
What to see and do in December for the Christmas holiday in Waikiki, Honolulu & Oahu
* The Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki has huge Christmas displays in the Royal Grove. They will host Santa Marty visits and special holiday music on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6pm – 8pm in December through December 23rd. Also, Santa Marty makes one last appearance on Christmas Eve, from 8pm – 10pm only. See this link for more information.
* At International Market Place meet the Strolling Santa dressed for the beach in aloha attire. Bring your camera to take a selfie with him. Strolling Santa visits the International Market Place in December before Christmas on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 3pm to 10pm and on Christmas Eve from 3pm to 6pm.
* Enjoy Holiday Mele of live holiday entertainment at the Waikiki Beach Walk plaza from 6pm to 7pm each night from December 19 – 25.
* December 21 is the time for Christmas with the Animals at Honolulu Zoo. The animals will be receiving enrichment gifts such as food, treats and toys. There will also be live music,, craft activities and a special appearance by Santa Claus. Admission to the zoo is required, but Christmas with the Animals is included with paid admission. The schedule is as follows:
- 9am – Honolulu Zoo Gates Open
- 9:30am to 2pm – Animal enrichment presentations
- 10:30am to 12:30pm – Santa Claus Meet & Greet, Crafts, Live Entertainment and Keiki Activities
* See the holiday sand sculptures at the porte cochere and lobby of the Sheraton Waikiki.
* See the Gingerbread Iolani Palace on display at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort.
* Take a stroll through the many Waikiki hotel lobbies to see their Christmas decorations. See examples of Christmas decorations from Waikiki.
* See the Honolulu City Lights and displays in downtown Honolulu in and around the grounds of the Honolulu Hale at 530 S King Street. This annual display is free and open to the public from December 7 through Christmas. It’s nice to see in the day, but we enjoy seeing the lights at night. Check their site for special events like family movie night and milk and cookie night. Since downtown Honolulu isn’t walkable from Waikiki, a great way to get to downtown Honolulu is to take the open-air Waikiki Trolley. Alternatively, you can use public transportation on Oahu’s TheBus or drive your own rental car, if you have one.
* Football fans can catch the Hawaii Bowl on December 24th at 3pm HST.
* College basketball fans can catch the hoops action of the Diamond Head Classic on December 22, 23 and 25.
* On the North Shore of Oahu, you can take a ride with Santa’s Hawaiian “reindeer.” The cost is $90 seaside horseback ride. This special ride will only be available between December 21 to 24. See this link for more details.
* The Hukilau Marketplace at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie (up near the North Shore) presents Sleigh All the Way: Christmas at the Hukilau Marketplace running December 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 23. Christmas at the Hukilau Marketplace promises ample opportunities for selfies with Santa Claus, brightly lit trees, nightly live Christmas entertainment, train rides for the kids, nightly live nativity performances and a “snow day”! The snow day will be December 23 and this year includes something extra: hills for sledding and snow tubing. Admission is free. In the spirit of giving, there will be a Light the World Giving Machine in front of the Pacific Theater where families can choose to donate to local or national charities. The festivities run from 6:30pm – 8:30pm, with the snow day activities running from 4pm – 8:30pm on the 23rd. For more information, call 808-293-3142.
* Winter Wishes – A Holiday Festival opens Friday, November 29 and runs through December 24th at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu. This event includes an ice-skating rink, photos with Santa, gingerbread house display, entertainment and more. General admission pricing varies from $15 to $20 per adult and $10 to $15 per child depending on if you’re there on a weekday or weekend. Learn more here.
Waikiki Christmas Eve Church Services
* Waikiki Baptist Church will hold Christmas Eve service at 6pm.
* Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Waikiki offers a communion and candlelight service at 6:30pm. Prior to that, a choir will be caroling at nearby Eaton Square at 5:30pm. Added 12/20
* For more Christmas Eve services, check with the concierge at your hotel and/or pick up a copy of the Star-Advertiser, which usually has Christmas Eve service information, when you’re on the island.
- We recommend you make reservations as soon as possible to secure the place and time you like.
- Should you have further questions, contact the venues directly. From each link that we’ve provided in this article, you should be able to navigate to the venue’s telephone number.
- Unless otherwise stated, you can assume that taxes and gratuities are not included in the listed prices. When you make your reservations, please confirm these details.
- As we’ve created the dining lists, we’ve aimed to find restaurants with great views, special holiday menus or a unique setting. Bear in mind that Christmas is a very busy time in Waikiki. Though a restaurant may have ocean views, not every table will have a direct ocean view. For the best possible view, try to make your reservation for as close to the time that the restaurant opens. Waikiki sunset around the week of Christmas is between 5:55pm and 6:00pm.
- As much as possible, we’ve tried to list the dining options by pricing/value.
- Most Waikiki Beach hotel-based restaurants will be open on Christmas. Check directly with the concierge of your accommodations for their special Christmas meals and events.
- For last minute dinner reservations, check availability with OpenTable. It’s not a comprehensive list of Oahu restaurants, but it can help if you’re trying to find reservations at the last minute.
- Once you arrive on Oahu, pick up a copy of the Star Advertiser, the local newspaper, which may provide additional dining options and events.
- All times, pricing and information are accurately reported at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
- We anticipate that we’ll be adding more events and dining options, so do check back. Additions will be indicated by the date they were added in a light gray font.
- If you’ll be on Oahu through New Year’s Eve, check out our Waikiki, Honolulu, Oahu New Year’s Eve Guide.
- Learn how to say Mele Kalikimaka, Hawaii’s way to say Merry Christmas.