Anytime is a great time to visit Hawaii and Halloween is no exception. It’s fun to celebrate the holiday’s festivities on a warm, tropical evening as the palm trees gently sway.
If you’re visiting the islands with kids, one the easiest ways to celebrate is to take your kids to a shopping center that’s offering a special event. Children are encouraged to dress in a costume and enjoy trick-or-treating at participating stores. Do check the dates for special Halloween events as many shopping centers host their Halloween parties on a day near October 31st, but may not actually be on the 31st.
The following shopping centers, which are convenient to resort areas, usually offer special Halloween events for children:
- Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki, Oahu
- International Market Place in Waikiki, Oahu
- Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Oahu
- Lahaina Cannery Mall in Lahaina, Maui
- Shops at Wailea in Wailea, Maui
- Coconut Marketplace in Kapaa, Kauai
- Kukui Grove Shopping Center in Lihue, Kauai
- Keauhou Shopping Center in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (Big) Island
- Queens’ MarketPlace in Waikoloa Beach Resort, Hawaii (Big) Island
- King’s Shops in Waikoloa Beach Resort, Hawaii (Big) Island
- Shops at Mauna Lani in Mauna Lani Resort, Hawaii (Big) Island
In terms of street parties and a place to see and be seen in costume, there are couple of great options in Hawaii:
- On Maui, check out Lahaina’s Front Street. The street is blocked off for a giant Halloween party with family-friendly activities, live music and more. Check VisitLahaina.com for more information.
- On Oahu, take a stroll along the sidewalks of Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki to enjoy the unofficial parade of costumes.
For more advice and specifics, consult with the concierge at your resort. Also, pick up a copy of the local island’s newspaper for haunted houses, Halloween parties and more.