* This TravelZoo deal ($920 total) for a three-night stay in a luxury Kauai villa plus rental car works out to an average cost of $307 per night. Each villa sleeps at least four people, so share it with friends or family to bolster your savings. You can combine multiple three-night vouchers for longer stays.
* LivingSocial has a great six-night Maui vacation deal including roundtrip flights, accommodations at Royal Lahaina Resort, a convertible or mid-sized SUV rental car and more. The costs range from $1,189 to $1,619 per person. Round-trip flights are based on these departure cities: Boston, Denver, Washington DC, Houston, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando, Minneapolis, Oakland, Chicago, Phoenix, or Seattle and Kahului, Maui (OGG).
* Check this new Kiplinger article, How to Save Money on a Trip to Hawaii, in which yours truly was quoted throughout.
* The Maui Visitors Bureau and the County of Maui Mayor’s office have sponsored this excellent video on vacation safety in Hawaii.
* If you’ve ever been disappointed that a boat tour or your ocean activities had to be cancelled due to unsafe weather/ocean conditions, you should check out this article, Saving Ourselves From Bad Decisions. Warnings aren’t issued to ruin our day, but to keep us from danger. The photo and example used to illustrate the point is shocking.
* Hawaii chef Roy Yamaguchi of Roy’s Restaurants just opened a new restaurant, the Eating House 1849, in the Koloa/Poipu area of Kauai.
* Eight O’Clock coffee is giving away a vacation for four to Hawaii with accommodations at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. The contest is open to legal residents of the US who are age 21 years and older. See the rules and entry information here.