If you are looking for where to celebrate on the Big Island, see the following link:
The following list is from 2008 for reference purposes only.
Going to the Big Island for the holidays? If so, you’re in luck with some excellent events to help you celebrate the season. Here’s some of what you’ll find:
* The Imiloa Astronomy Center presents the Mystery of the Christmas Star for a limited four-day run starting December 20th through Christmas Eve. “Mystery of the Christmas Star takes audiences on a journey back 2000 years to Bethlehem to discover a possible scientific explanation for the star the wise men followed to find the baby Jesus. This program investigates recorded sightings of significant astronomical events during the time of the birth of Christ.” Show time is noon each day. Admission to the Imiloa Center is $17.50 for adults and $9.50 for children ages 4 to 12.
* See a Menuhune Christmas Village Gingerbread display at the lobby of the Fairmont Orchid beginning December 20th.
* On the 21st, the Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity in Kona is sponsoring a Christmas concert featuring The Kona Brass and the church choir. Tickets are $15 per person. The concert starts at 3pm and doors open at 2pm. For more information see this link.
* The Fairmont Orchid hosts Christmas Tree Lighting Festivities on December 22nd from 5:15pm to 7:00pm in the Courtyard lanai beneath the lobby. The celebration includes lighting their 40-foot live Hawaiian Pine Christmas tree, Hawaiian music, dance and light refreshments.
* The Kona Festival Choral will offer performances on the 20th and 21st at the King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. Tickets are $20 at the door and $18 if purchased in advance. See this link for more information.
Christmas Day – December 25, 2008
* Yuletide Buffet at Orchid Court Restaurant of the Fairmont Orchidfrom 4:30pm to 8:00pm. This buffet served in a garden setting will include appetizers, salads, a carving station, sushi, and desserts. Hawaiian music entertainment will play. Price $95 adults/$48 children/5 and under complimentary. Reservations at 808-887-7368.
* Seasons Greetings Prix Fixe Dinner will be held at Brown’s Beach House Restaurant, which is also at Fairmont Orchid. The dinner is served from 5:30pm to 9:30pm and the price is $99 for adults. This restaurant has beautiful sunset views. For more information call 808-887-7368.
* Christmas Day Brunch and Dinner will be served from 12pm to 8pm at the Palm Terrace of the Hilton Waikoloa Village. The cost is $60 for adults and $30 for children. For more information, see this link.
New Year’s Eve – December 31, 2008
* The B-52’s will be performingat the Hilton Waikoloa Village starting at 10:30pm. A DJ will be on hand to get the party started at 9:00pm. Ticket prices start at $110 for visitors.
* Beach Boy Bash at Coconut Grove Oceanfront of the Fairmont Orchid“Celebrate the New Year in paradise as our chefs astound you with their culinary creations, bartenders pop champagne corks and pour famous Big Island cocktails all night long as you dance the night away ocean side under the palm trees.” This New Year’s Eve party starts at 7:00pm. The price is $199 for adults and $99 ages 6-12. Kids five and under are complimentary. Call 8-8-887-7368 for more information.
* New Year’s Eve Beach Buffet at the Mauna Laniwill be served from 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
* The Waikoloa Hilton is offering special New Year’s Eve celebrations for children and teens so that mom and dad can have a romantic dinner. For more information see this link.
I’ll update this post as I discover more interesting events. Also, Kona Web has a few more December events listed that are not necessarily holiday related, but happening over the next few weeks. Mele Kalikimaka and Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!