My feet first touched Hawaiian soil in April 2003. That’s when I was first infected by Hawaii.
I was on a nine-night, “once in a lifetime” vacation to the state of Hawaii. At least that was what I thought before touching ground on Maui.
I vividly remember so many details about that trip. As I reflect back on those memories now, I can almost smell the air, hear the birds and feel the gentle, cooling touch of the tradewinds. Memories and images like these come to mind:
- Being amazed at the glorious sun coming into view just above the clouds from the peak of a volcanic crater. (See my post: See An Unforgettable Sunrise at Haleakala National Park.)
- Standing in Iao Valley Park with eyes wide open in admiration of the green spire – that is the Iao Needle. (See my post: Making a Point to Visit Maui’s Iao Needle.)
- Observing in the vibrant colors and pageantry of Polynesian dances at the Old Lahaina Luau.
- Savoring the many waterfalls and coastal views through the rainforest on a journey to Hana and beyond.
- Observing pink, purple, and orange sunset skies.
Ah, sweet memories!
So, that’s where, when and how my love of Hawaii began. What’s your story of how Hawaii first captured you?