Fasten your seatbelts because we’ve got tons of news to zip through today!
- The Aloha Festivals kick off this week. Aloha Festivals are a celebration of Hawaiian culture and have been held over the past six decades. This year’s theme is “Hula, the Art of Hawaiian Dance.”
- Scientist have just discovered a lava lake under Halemaumau Crater at Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island. As you may recall Halemaumau Crater is the place where the huge volcanic plume of smoke and ash been billowing out since March. Scientists estimate the lava lake is 160 feet in diameter. KGMB has a segment with video here.
- You can win a free trip to Maui from by entering the Maui No Ka Oi Magazine photo contest. Send them a non-edited photo “showing how much fun you had on your last romantic trip to Maui. It must have a tropical, Hawaiian theme. Anything MAUI goes!” The prize includes airfare for two from any continental US city, rental car, and five nights at the Maui Sheraton. See more details about entering the contest.
- Are you a Kona coffee fan? If so, you might want to make plans to attend the 38th Annual Kona Coffee Cultural Festival on November 12th and 13th. Learn what What makes the perfect cup at the only coffee festival in the United States. Over 70 Kona coffee farmers enter this competition.
- Have you heard of the Orbitz Price Assurance Guarantee? The way it works is that when you book airfare with Orbitz, they continually check to see if another customer books the same flight at a lower price. If another customer does book the same flight at lower price, Orbitz will automatically send you a check for the difference. A little birdie tells me that Orbitz has already sent out thousands of checks. (Thank you little birdie!)
- Receive a $250 Visa Gift Card when you book an oceanfront room by December 25, 2008 at the Big Island’s Sheraton Keauhou Resort. Oceanfront rates begin at $279 per night. The Visa Gift Card special rate code is 250VIGC. Learn more at www.SheratonKeauhou.com.