Today’s news starts with a carnival atmosphere and finishes with some amazing videos about the lava flow on the Big Island.
- Evelyn at Homespun Honolulu has issued the sixth edition of the Carnival of Aloha. filled with interesting Hawaii related articles. (Evelyn is the blog carnival hostess with the mostest.) 🙂
- If you’re looking for a girlfriend getaway to Maui, then you may be interested in this offer from Wailea Beach Villas. The getaway includes six nights accommodation in a two bedroom, garden view penthouse plus one, complimentary half-day excursion for the group with the resort’s private adventure guide, an in-room spa treatment for each guest in the party and a complimentary dinner prepared by one of the resort’s private chefs. Package rates begin at $1,650 per person based on four people for six nights in a two bedroom penthouse.
- Here is another reminder to lock your car doors and put valuables out of sight on vacation. This Kauai news article says that “the most common crime that occurred against tourists in 2007 and 2006 [on Kauai] was unlawful entry of a motorized vehicle.” In fact, there were 305 instances of that crime.
- Another interesting tidbit from the same Kauai news article is that Hawaii visitors who island hop on their vacation tend to spend most of their vacation time on Kauai. “The average length-of-stay for visitors in 2006 in Kaua‘i was 6.3 days, compared with the following length of stays for the Neighbor Islands: 4.6 days in O‘ahu, 3.75 days in Maui, 3.5 days on the Big Island and 1.63 and 1.62 days for Moloka‘i and Lana‘i, respectively.”
- KGMB News has a fascinating two part story with videos of the lava flowing in and around the Royal Gardens neighborhood. The stories include interviews with the lone full-time resident who still lives there more than 25 years after Pele took over the community with her lava. Here is part one and part two.