Aloha Readers! Thanks for bearing with me while I was hard at work on Lanai, Maui, and Molokai in search of useful information to help you plan your next Hawaii vacation. We had a very nice trip and I will be writing up reviews and recommendations in the coming days and weeks. In the meantime, here’s the latest news tidbits:
- My sources tell me that the Kapalua Ritz Carlton renovations should be complete before the start of the Mercedes Championship. The tournament events start Monday, December 31st.
- Kapalua villas have a very nice free ride promotion going on. You can get a free mid-sized Hertz rental car during your stay of five nights or more. This offer is for one bedroom fairway view villas. The daily rate is $289. The promotion is valid for stays through December 19th.
- Professional golfers aren’t the only celebrities you might see in Hawaii. Many television and movie stars are finding homes on Hawaii to get away from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood. Kauai seems to be a recent favorite among the stars.
- The Hawaii Superferry will resume service Oahu/Kauai on September 26th. Maui service is still suspended indefinitely.
- A new restaurant serving modern Japanese cuisine, Kaiwa, has recently opened at the second level of the Waikiki Beach Walk. The restaurant offers different dining options/atmospheres including a sophisticated teppan counter, a lush “zashiki” room, and an intimate sushi counter.
- The Keauhou Beach Resort in Kailua-Kona is getting a facelift. Each of the 310 rooms will be getting free high-speed internet access along with new carpeting, paint, linens, upholstery, lighting, and redesigned vanities. Regarding the new decor, Gregg Enright, General Manager, says, “The look is light, tropical and relaxing, with colors drawn from our natural surroundings: cooling shades of green, warm woods and deep blue accents on the bed covers.” The improvement project is expected to take six months and the resort will remain open during this refurbishments.
- Lost fans will have the opportunity to hear the “Lost” Symphony on September 22nd at the Waikiki Shell. The composer of the music of Lost, Michael Giacchino, will bring his music to the Honolulu Symphony Toyota Pops. The event will be narrated by Lost star Terry O’Quinn who plays the character of Locke.