* Could lava flow into the ocean again for the first time since 2013? That’s a possibility as lava is moving in that direction, but it’s still roughly three miles away. We really hope the current flow continues to the ocean as it is truly incredible to see. If lava continues to flow, Hawaii County may reopen their viewing site. *** UPDATE – as of June 30, 2016, the county of Hawaii will open the lava viewing site. * The above photo shows the active a’a lava from Tuesday. You can also view a brief video of the lava here.
* Island Air has added service to Kona (KOA) from Oahu (HNL). Here’s a link to their flight paths/schedules. For information and links to other airlines within Hawaii, see our guide to inter-island travel.
* Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach opened for business last week.
* After decades of disrepair, Coco Palms — a resort made famous by the Elvis film Blue Hawaii — is finally being demolished in order to construct Coco Palms Resort by Hyatt. Read more about it in this Garden Island article.
* We got word that the 2016 Hawaii Entertainment coupon books are sold out. The 2017 books are due to launch in August. In the meantime, digital memberships are still available. Those memberships allow you to print coupons. They usually cost between $0.99 to $1.99 per month. That’s a pretty good deal to spend a buck or two in order to save 25% off admission to a luau. You can cancel the membership after your trip to minimize costs.