* The Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel has been renovated, rebranded and renamed to the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort. We stayed here a few years ago under the previous brand and loved it. It has one of the best beach locations in all of Hawaii Island. Among the many renovations, the most notable ones that visitors will appreciate is that the rooms have been extensively redecorated and an adults-only infinity pool has been added. We hope to check out the renovations in the near future.
* Speaking of the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Costco Travel has an excellent deal that starts at about $300 per couple per night. The buyer’s choice package is based on a six night stay. It includes a $200 resort credit, room upgrade (to ocean-view room), daily buffet breakfast for two, luau tickets for two, rental car for six days and more.
* Effective July 1, 2018, stores on Oahu will begin to implement a bag ban. In this next phase, stores will be required to charge you at least 15 cents per bag. You can avoid this fee by bringing your own reusable bag. In 2020, stores will be banned from using plastic at all. (Source)
* Timbers Kauai at Hokuala is Kauai’s newest luxury resident-style resort. To celebrate their opening, they’re offering $1000 credit to use to explore the amenities of the property — like the spa, activities and golf. For more information, or to book the Experience Timbers Kauai Opening Package, visit www.hokualakauai.com or call (844) 815-9193 and mention promo code “ALOHAA” by June 30 for stays through November 30.
* Save $50 when booking with Sunshine Helicopters’ for its Ultimate Kauai Adventure Early-Bird Helicopter Tour. Flights before 8:30 a.m. and after 2 p.m. are part of the tour special, and reservations must be booked online to receive the special. For more information, see this link.
* Blue Hawaiian Helicopters is now offering tours on Oahu.
* Hilton Waikoloa Village has some of the best pools in all of Hawaii. If you don’t have a pool at your Big Island resort or you’re visiting for the day buy cruise ship, you might be interested in purchasing day passes for $50 per person. (Children age 5 and under are free.) Day passes offer unrestricted access to Hilton Waikoloa’s four-acre, ocean-fed Lagoon & Beach, the Kohala River Pool, the Kona pool, featuring a 175-foot waterslide, whirlpools and waterfall and the Ocean Tower Adult-only Pool. Day passes are available for purchase at the Kona Pool welcome desk. For more information call 808-886-1234.
* Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is still closed at the summit. It’s unclear when the area might reopen. This KHON story shows some of the changes and damages to the park. Sadly, park officials doubt that Jagger Museum will ever reopen.
* Local government is looking into creating a safe, lava-viewing area near the spectacular eruptions in the lower Puna area of Hawaii Island. See this KHON story for more information. In the meantime, one of the best ways to see the current lava activity is via a boat tour or helicopter tour.