This blast from the past post, A Vacation Time Saving Tip, was originally posted in March 2008. Andy and I have used this time-saving trick a number of times when we’ve chosen to check luggage. It really makes a difference!
This time saving idea will help you if you check your luggage and you are traveling with someone else. When you arrive at the airport in Hawaii, rather than waiting on your luggage and then heading to the rental car desk, divide and conquer. One of you should collect the luggage while the other picks up the car.
So this is how this time saving idea generally works. We’ll use two fictitious 😉 Hawaii travelers, Andy and Sheila to illustrate how the scenario works:
- Plane lands in Hawaii. Andy and Sheila high-five each other, de-plane and then head towards baggage claim and ground transportation.
- Sheila goes to baggage claim while Andy goes to the rental car desk
- Sheila collects the luggage, takes it to the nearest curb, and waits for Andy.
- Andy is most likely is the first person in line at the rental car counter because he didn’t wait for his luggage first. (That is a major time saver in itself!) Andy completes the rental car paperwork, then inspects and picks up the car.
- Andy drives to curb nearest baggage claim to pick up Sheila and the luggage. And they vacationed happily ever after. 🙂
If you’d like to try this tip, bear these points in mind:
- Not only with this tip save you time, but it will save you from having to carry the luggage on shuttle buses, etc.
- To help you find the correct baggage claim area, make note of the baggage claim area and what it’s called. Try to pay attention to where the baggage claim is relation to the rental car desk. With the exception of Honolulu (HNL) airport, all other Hawaii airports are relatively small and easy to navigate.
- In case of any mixed communication, it helps to have cell phones. So, make sure they are switched on when you land.
- This situation doesn’t work if both you and your travel partner both need to be listed as drivers on the rental car contract. Both of you will need to be present to sign the contract.
Have you used this tip? How did it work for you?