Oh, you lucky ducks from the West Coast! Do you know that you have some excellent direct flight options for getting to Hawaii’s Big Island?
Here’s a list of direct flight options that will get you to the Big Island without the hassle and time of connecting in Honolulu.
- Alaska Airlines flies direct to Kona
- Alaska Airlines flies direct from both Oakland and San Jose airports to Kona
- United Airlines flies direct from San Francisco to Kona
- Continental Airlines flies direct from San Francisco to Hilo
- Continental Airlines flies direct to Hilo
- United Airlines flies direct to Kona
- American Airlines flies direct to Kona
- Delta Airlines flies direct to Kona
- US Airways flies direct to Kona
- Alaska Airlines flies direct to Kona seasonally
I’d like to highlight that there’s a couple of direct flights into Hilo on Continental Airlines. One option we’ve really liked doing for our Big Island vacations is flying into Hilo to start our vacation for a few days before heading over to the Kona side for the rest of our vacation. We then fly from Kona back home. This plan has been a convenient time saver and we’ve paid the additional rental car fee (usually $50) for this convenience. See my article: Hawaii’s Big Island – Where to Stay.
When you’re choosing your flights to Hawaii, which do you prioritize – schedule with direct flights or price no matter the schedule?