* I’ve been checking the Hawaii Volcano Observatory reports regularly. The new developments are that lava is entering the ocean at two points and a potential third entry point is less than 250 feet from the ocean. The concerning eastward advance towards homes has slowed a bit, which is good news.
* How about a sweet deal for a Maui suite? You can get a one-bedroom suite at the Fairmont Kea Lani for $199. This rate represents 50% off and is a bargain for this posh Wailea location. The deal is available for travel dates between August 30 and October 7, 2010, but you must book by August 6. There is a bit of a catch, the resort will be renovating their pools in phases during the valid travel dates. One pool will remain open. You can read the details of the renovations here.
* If the Fairmont’s renovations concern you, then this other luxury Maui deal is still one of the best around. The deal is $299 per night at the five-star Ritz Carlton Kapalua. On top of the low rate, you get free breakfast for two and $100 resort credit. For those of you who are looking for a romantic resort for a honeymoon or anniversary celebration, that’s a real bargain.
* I’d like to remind you that the Bank of Hawaii’s Online Marketplace has some very good coupons. At the moment, there are two excellent coupons for Kauai that have caught my eye – there’s a coupon for $100 a helicopter tour and 15% off for Kayak Kauai’s Wailua River Secret Falls Tour. Here’s a link to see those coupons and more.
* Would you like a free Hawaii Five-O Theme Song ringtone? You can get it here. Please take note of the fine print and procedures, e.g. you’ll get text messages from the provider unless you opt out of the messages. Here’s the fine print:
* Hawaii Tourism Authority issued June results indicating a 13.6% increase in visitors. Could this be a sign of economic recovery? See more Hawaii tourism stats summarized here.