Whenever I go into a restaurant and I can tell that local folks are there, I know I’ve found a great place. Travelocity has just released their list of “Local Secrets, Big Finds: Hawaii“. Though it is not a big list, it is worth taking note of as you make your list of restaurants to try in Hawaii.
On Travelocity’s list of local eateries are:
- Oahu’s Cafe Haleiwa
- Oahu’s Wailoa Shave Ice
- Big Islands’ Waimea Music Exchange
- Big Island’s Makuu Farmers Market (open Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Kauai’s Puka Dog Hawaiian-Style Hot Dogs
I’d like to add a few of my own local gems:
- Oahu has dozens of local favorites that I’ve summarized in this article: Where to find local favorite restaurants in Oahu.
- Maui’s Kula Lodge Restaurant – this place is especially great for breakfast after watching sunrise on top of Haleakala. The views here are breathtaking.
- Maui’s Da Kitchen – There are two locations – one in Kihei and one in Kahului.
- Maui’s Aloha Mixed Plate – Lahaina
- Maui’s Kihei Caffe – Kihei
- From my Maui friend, Liza, here’s a list of places locals eat in Kihei Maui
- Kauai’s Best Cheap Eats – list of various restaurants that locals frequent in Kauai as written by a local couple.
- Kauai’s Kalapaki Beach Hut – Lihue
- Kauai’s Joe’s on the Green – Poipu
- Big Island’s Cafe 100– very cheap local eats with generous portions. You won’t go hungry here.
- Big Island’s Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea
- Big Island’s Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae (Kohala Coast) and Hilo
What local favorite Hawaii restaurants have you found and liked?