– We’re happy to report that Hawaii Volcanoes National Park plans to reopen! After experiencing hundreds of earthquakes and other risks, the area around Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has settled for the moment. Officials announced a goal of reopening some of the closed areas by September 22. You can follow the recovery efforts at this link. From this collection of photos, you can get an idea of the damages/changes to the park.
– Other than some localized flooding, Hurricane Lane did not pack as much of a punch as feared. All Hawaii airports and resorts are without damage and open.
– TravisMathew and Turtle Bay Resort are partnering to giveaway a five-night stay for two at Turtle Bay Resort, a $1,000 TravisMathew gift card and entry into the Turtle Bay Open golf tournament. This giveaway is open to legal US residents only. See this link for entry and the rules.
– Airfare to Hawaii is quite reasonable. We’ve recently seen fares as low as $299 roundtrip from the West Coast. So, if you’ve been thinking about a fall getaway to Hawaii, now is a good time to check flights. (See our strategies for finding the lowest airfares to Hawaii.)
– Mokulele Airlines is now offering scenic flight tours from Maui to Molokai and to see lava activity on Hawaii (Big) Island. See this link for more information.
– Hawaii News Now has a reminder that Hawaii visitors shouldn’t take sand, coral or rocks home with them. It’s illegal and many people taking sand or rocks end up regretting it. Some even attribute bad luck to the stolen rocks and sand.