The ever fascinating Hawaii Volcanoes National Park celebrates their 100th anniversary throughout 2016. To commemorate such a milestone, the park is offering special programs, hikes and more. Learn about the special events at their website.
The state of Hawaii is home to many great national parks, but Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is perhaps the most fascinating. The varied landscapes — from active volcanic craters to seemingly endless fields of lava rock to lush rainforest to rugged coastline — Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has all that and more.
Some of our favorite things to see and do in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park are:
- Observe lava activity. Over the years, we’ve seen lava flowing to the ocean and the lava lake glow at Halemaumau.
- Hike through a rainforest and down across a crater floor on the Kilauea Iki Trail
- Walk underground through Thurston Lava Tube
- Marvel at the giant hapu’u ferns
- Watch apapane birds
- See centuries-old stories carved in stone via the Puu Loa Petroglyph Trail
Have you been to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park? What are your favorite things to see an do there?