Hawaii has been making headlines quite a bit lately, which is one of the reasons why we’ve had been posting more frequently about the news.
* Unfortunately, the sensational lava events on the Big Island are starting to take their toll on the entire island. As we’ve mentioned previously, the lava activity is isolated to a relatively small area of Hawaii (Big) Island. The waterfalls, beautiful Kona-side beaches and other amazing scenery are all safe from eruptions. All the other islands are unaffected by the new lava activity. For further information and updates, check for special alerts on this Hawaii Tourism Authority webpage.
* Hawaiian Airlines is allowing a travel waiver through the end of May due to Hawaii Island volcanic activity. See this link for more information.
* Hawaii Volcanoes National Park closed, then reopened, then closed again. For updates on closures check their alerts and conditions page.
* Cracks were discovered at the USS Arizona Memorial. For safety purposes, visitors are not allowed onto the memorial until repairs can be completed. See this Facebook post for more details.
* Starting today, the only gas station in Hana, Maui will be closed through May 25th. Make sure you gas up before driving the road to Hana.
* Hawaiian Airlines is giving away a million HawaiianMiles and a Hawaii cruise. See this link to enter to win. (Open to legal USA residents who are age 21 and older.)
* Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows will close in October to complete a $100 million renovation, which is expected to take 14 months to complete per Pacific Business News.