Hawaii’s state bird is the Nene. Here are some quick facts about the nene:
- Nene is pronounced nay-nay.
- Nenes are endemic to Hawaii, which means it’s not naturally found anywhere else on earth other than Hawaii.
- As you can probably tell from the photo, the nene is a goose.
- The nene is can be found on all the islands except for Oahu.
- In 2019, the nene moved from the endangered list to the threatened list, so, thankfully the population is increasing. Still, it’s important to protect them.
- For more information, see this fact sheet.