Hawaii Vacation News and Deals Roundup for July 16th
- Fancy a trip to Kauai before the end of July? If you can travel from Seattle and can comply with the restrictions, you can get one-way fares from $249 on Alaska Airlines. Here’s the link for more info.
- I wish I had over 15 days and $2500 to spare because I like the looks of this South Pacific cruise that includes Oahu, the Big Island, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Bay of Islands and finishes at Auckland, New Zealand.
- There’s a new Hawaii vacation rental search engine, HawaiiGaga and on David’s blog, there’s a good discussion about it. Check it out and tell us what you think.
- Northwest Airlines has announced they’ll charge for checking luggage. So, has interisland carrier, Go! Airlines. My how things have changed! It was just a year ago that Go! was offering specials of $9 one way. Now they’re charging $10 for checking the first piece of luggage.
- Last week, we talked about the shaka. As you may recall, the predominant story of how the shaka began was that a Polynesian Cultural Center employee who had lost his middle fingers waved to people and this wave caught on. A nice Polynesian Cultural Center representative emailed me to tell me a bit more. The name of the friendly gentleman is Hamana Kaili. You can read more about him and see his photo here. Mahalo, Maria!
“It was just a year ago that Go! was offering specials of $9 one way. Now they’re charging $10 for checking the first piece of luggage.”
I never thought of it like that but yeah! – What’s up with that?
However… I need to quit whining. After all… It costs me $9.00 just to drive to work and back every day. If I had a big SUV it would cost me $20 bucks every day so the price is still realistic.
Hey Dave – The good news is that if you pack light enough you don’t have to pay the fee at all. I’m living breathing proof that it is possible to travel to Hawaii with just a small roll aboard and a small backpack. I wish more people understood the joys of traveling light. 🙂
Hi Sheila, Thanks for the mention.
Couldn’t agree with you more on packing light. (Somewhere back I think we’ve already had this discussion).