I hope you had a great weekend. There’s so much news to catch up on, so let’s dive in.
- Fodor’s has an article on airline fees that you should know. There have been several changes in recent months, so if you haven’t flown in a while, it might be a good idea to review that article to avoid or minimize fees.
- The Polynesian Cultural Center held the Samoan Fireknife dancing competition this weekend. You can read their blog for complete coverage of the event. There’s some neat photos and videos.
- The vog (volcano produced smog) has been quite heavy in recent days, but luckily the trade winds are back at the moment. Bobbie has developed an excellent collection of vog resources.
- Check out this amazing underwater video of lava flowing into the ocean just off the Big Island. Scuba divers captured the film. (They are way more brave than I am!)
- The Outrigger Reef on the Beach in Waikiki on Oahu completed a $120 million renovation.
- Keahou Beach Resort on the Kona Coast of the Big Island finished a $6 million remodeling project.
- Another Big Island resort, the Hilton Waikoloa Village, just finished a $100 million renovation.
- Orbitz listed Honolulu as the fifth most popular summer destination based on bookings.
- If you are going to the Big Island you might want to consider one of these new photography tours that combines a scenic guided tour along with a professional photographer. That’s a brilliant idea.