With Oahu’s rich military history, the island makes a perfect place to honor Memorial Day. Here’s what’s happening this Memorial Day Weekend around Oahu.
Oahu Events on Memorial Day, May 28, 2018
69th Annual Honolulu City Mayor’s Memorial Day Ceremony
This annual event is held at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl in Honolulu. The ceremony features a color guard, firearm salutes, aircraft flyover, playing of taps and performances by the Royal Hawaiian Band. The ceremony begins at 8:30 am, but attendees are requested to be within Punchbowl by 8am. See this link for more information on this year’s ceremony. Parking will be extremely limited so consider taking special shuttle services for the ceremony. TheBus will be providing special service. See this link for details for TheBus.
Lantern Floating Ceremony at Ala Moana Beach Park
The annual Memorial Day Lantern Floating Ceremony offers participants to gather together to remember loved ones who have passed away. More than 7,000 floating lanterns are expected along with over 40,000 people attending this free event. The main ceremony starts at 6:30 pm at Magic Island at Ala Moana Beach Park. Free parking will be available on May 28th from 7:00am to 11:59pm at the Hawaii Convention Center. If you are staying in Waikiki, you might consider walking, especially if your hotel is on the western end of Waikiki or consider the Waikiki Trolley.
Free and special Memorial Day offers for military personnel
- Battleship Missouri Memorial (the Mighty Mo) will offer free admission to all active-duty, reserve, auxiliary, and retired U.S. military personnel and dependents on Memorial Day. Those who present a valid military I.D. will receive free admission at the Ticket and Information Booth at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center.
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters is offering half-priced helicopter tours for active and retired U.S. military personnel from May 25 – 28. This limited time offers savings on a 45-minute helicopter tour for only $150 per person, inclusive of taxes and fees. The following lists the tours included in Blue Hawaiian Helicopters’ Memorial Day promotion:
- Oahu – Blue Skies of Oahu
- Kauai – Kauai ECO Adventure
- Maui – Hana Haleakala or West Maui Molokai
- Big Island – Circle of Fire in Hilo or Kohala Coast Adventure in Waikoloa
Active-duty military and veterans who book the special priced tours must present valid documentation, such as military ID or driver’s license (noting veteran status), upon check-in. for more information call 800-745-BLUE (2583).
We wish you a very safe and meaningful Memorial Day!