A bit of “normal” is planned to return back to the Big Island for July 4th in 2022! It’s exciting to see events being announced and it’s shaping up to be a great Independence Day on Hawaii Island!
We are in the process of updating this page as venues announce what they have planned. Here’s what we know so far:
Kailua – Kona July 4th Parade & Fireworks over Kailua Bay
The annual Kailua-Kona parade and fireworks show is back in action this July 4, 2022! The patriotic parade, which runs down Kuakini Highway and Ali’i Drive is set to start at 6:00 p.m. This year’s parade theme is “A Salute to Our Hometown Heros.” The firework show over the bay is set to start at 8:00 p.m. The professional pyrotechnics set off from a barge moored in Kailua Bay. Check for any updates and to make a donation at this link.
Hilo Bay Blast Fireworks & Celebration
Hilo hosts a wonderful day of fun and fireworks. Here’s the schedule of events for this July 4, 2022:
- At 7:00 a.m., “A Salute to Our Veterans” Hilo Bay 5K Run/Walk 2022 will take place at Lili’uokalani Gardens. For more information and to register to participate, see this link.
- From 10:00 a.m. through 3:00 p.m., the “Hot Rides Expo” car show will be held at the Hilo soccer fields (mauka fields.)
- During the “Hot Rides Expo” live music and food trucks will be available at the Hilo Bayfront Soccer fields. Kids can enjoy bounce houses and water slides.
- At 7:00 p.m., the Hawaii County Band will perform at Mo’oheau Bandstand.
- The big, “Hilo Bay Blast” fireworks show is set to begin at 8:00 p.m. The professional pyrotechnics are set off from a barge moored in Hilo Bay. The Hawaii County Band will play live music to accompany the fireworks. For those who are not near Mo’oheau Bandstand, the fireworks display will be synchronized to patriotic music aired on KWXX.
Special fireworks viewing advice for the kupuna (seniors): The area known as “Isles,” located across from Liliʻuokalani Gardens, has been designated the Kupuna viewing station. The Department of Parks and Recreation’s Elderly Activities Division will provide shuttle service from the Kamanā Senior Center, located at 127 Kamana Street. The shuttle to Isles will run from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., and the return shuttle will run from 8:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Individuals 55 years and older wanting to use the shuttle service may contact Elderly Recreation Services at (808) 961-8710 for more information.
Waikoloa Beach Resort July 4th Activities, but no fireworks for 2022
- Queens’ Marketplace will hosts live music, lawn games, popcorn and cotton candy from 2pm to 6pm. See this link for more details on this event.
- Kings’ Shops is bringing back the Great Waikoloa Rubber Duckie Race along with fun entertainment and contests. This event benefits the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Hawaii. See this flyer for the schedule of events.
Prior to 2020, Waikoloa Independent Day events culminated with a spectacular fireworks display over Waikoloa Bowl at Queens Gardens. Fireworks were not held in 2020 or 2021 and now we’ve learned that there will not be fireworks in Waikoloa in 2022. (For reference, we were originally informed in April 2022 that there would be fireworks. We are not sure what’s changed, but Waikoloa’s Queens’ Marketplace’s website clearly indicates that there will not be fireworks this year.)
Annual Fourth of July Rodeo and Horse Races at Parker Ranch
The 58th Annual Parker Ranch July 4th Rodeo and Horse Race is set to happen in 2022 after a two-year pause. Traditionally, this rodeo celebrates the paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) and their skills. See this link for more information and how to obtain tickets.
- All events are subject to change without notice. COVID-19 restrictions may create challenges and changes.
- More events may be added or revised. Check back for updates.
- Some events are very dependent upon fundraisers and local financial support. As such, they may be cancelled with little notice if they don’t raise enough funds. When/if we know of these situations, we will note them.
- Personal fireworks, alcohol, tobacco use and e-cigs are prohibited at all county and state parks.
- Operation of UAVs/drones within five miles of the Hilo and Kona airports as well as within county and state parks is prohibited.
- If you are a journalist or blogger using this post for researching an article you are writing, kindly do what’s proper and provide a link back to Go Visit Hawaii. This work is a result of many hours of my very own research, long distance phone calls, emails, contacts, etc.
Happy July 4th!