If you’ve not already made your New Year’s Eve plans, why don’t you plan a festive trip to Hawaii to welcome in 2013? Why bundle up in winter coats, hats, scarfs and gloves to venture out for evening festivities on the mainland, when you can take a warm respite to a tropical island?
Let me tell you that Hawaii sure does know how to celebrate any occasion, but the islands really shine for New Year’s Eve. The fireworks shows that we’ve seen there are spectacular!
If you’re like me, you don’t want to have to drive on New Year’s Eve to see fireworks. With alcohol often being a part of some festivities, it’s much safer to stay off the roads.
More than having the safety of not driving, imagine the convenience of walking onto your lanai (balcony) or to find a nice spot on the sandy beach by your hotel to a beautiful fireworks show. Ah, sounds good to me!
I’ve created this list of the top places to stay where the resort host their own on-property fireworks show.
- Four Seasons Lanai Resort at Manele Bay will host a midnight fireworks display as well as a celebration with a 12-piece band playing classic rock n’roll to contemporary hits. The festivities are complimentary for resort guests. We welcomed in 2010 from Lanai and loved it. We were able to watch the fireworks display over Hulopoe Beach from our lanai.(Psst…this resort is one of the very best luxury values in all of Hawaii. See our video tour of Four Season Resort Lanai at Manele Bay.)
I suspect that there will fireworks in South Maui, but have been unable to officially confirm. Midnight fireworks are set to display from the Grand Wailea.
Hawaii, the Big Island
- Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows will host midnight fireworks, a Willie K concert and several beachside buffet or ocean view prix fixe dinner options. You can see more details from this link. (See our Mauna Lani review.)
- The Four Seasons Haulalai will host New Year’s Eve fireworks. I anticipate they’ll also have special dining options for the evening as well.
- Ko Olina resort has informed me that they will host another spectacular fireworks show this year. Ko Olina resorts include Disney’s Aulani, JW Marriott Ihilani, and condos and timeshares. See this listing of Ko Olina accomodations. (See our video review of Aulani and our written review of the JW Marriott at Ihilani.)
- We have confirmed that there will be fireworks from Waikiki Beach this New Year’s Eve. See our complete rundown of what’s going on in Waikiki and Honolulu for New Year’s Eve.
- Poipu Beach Association provides an annual New Year’s Eve fireworks show and music fest, but at an earlier hour that’s more suitable for families with kids. Their fireworks display normally starts between 9 to 9:30pm. Prior to that they also host food booths, music and activities starting at 5pm in Poipu Beach Park. This park is within walking distance of several hotels including Sheraton Kauai, Grand Hyatt Kauai, and Koa Kea. Depending on where you’re staying, you might not even need to leave your accommodation’s property in order to see the fireworks. See a full list of Poipu area accommodations. (See our Sheraton Kauai resort review.)
I recommend you book your flights and accommodations as quickly as possible as many places sell out over the holidays.
I’ve listed what we know at the time of publishing. Other resorts may add fireworks shows later. Please be advised that events can be subject to change without notice.