UPDATE for New Year’s Eve, December 31, 2013 at this link —> Maui & Lanai New Year’s Eve Fireworks 2013/2014 <—- Click for the most recent updates.
The following information is from 2012 for reference purposes only.
Maui will certainly offer you warm and festive opportunities to bid a fond farewell aloha to 2012 and a welcoming aloha to 2013. If you’re hoping to catch a dazzling New Year’s Eve fireworks display, we’ve got the scoop on where to find them.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Maui
* In Hana, Travaasa Hana will celebrate with a special prix fixe dinner, live Hawaiian music, and dancing ’til the clock strikes midnight at the Paniolo Lounge. Then, a 15-minute dazzling aerial fireworks display takes place in front of the property. Guests of the hotel will be able to meet and mix with the friendly residents of Hana during this highly anticipated annual event. Since Hana is a 2 to 3 hour drive from most West and South Maui resorts, you should consider an overnight (or longer) stay at Travaasa Hana to celebrate New Year’s Eve, plus give yourself extra time to enjoy the beautiful road to Hana. As you can see from our Travaasa Hana review, we love this resort. For reservations and more information, call 808-248-8211.
* In South Maui at Wailea, fireworks are set to shoot from a barge fronting the Grand Wailea at midnight. (Updated: 12/29/12 – At last, we have official confirmation from Maui News that there will be fireworks in Wailea.) Watching the fireworks from Wailea Beach might get a bit crowded, so you may want to consider one of the New Year’s Eve fireworks cruises. Here are the cruise companies that I know are advertising New Year’s Eve cruises that you can book now:
- Pacific Whale Foundation offers a number of New Year’s Eve firework cruises from cocktail cruises to full four-course dinner at a private table. By booking directly online with them, you can save 10%. You can see the details of their cruises here. Pricing starts at $72 for adults, including the web booking discount.
- Update – SOLD OUT – Pride of Maui offers a very popular New Year’s Eve fireworks cruise with appetizers, desserts, live music, open bar and champagne toast. Compared to other boats, the Pride of Maui sails on a larger, more stable vessel. This cruise normally sells out by December, but I have been able to confirm that seats are still available at the time of publishing. The price is $119.95 per person.
- Update – SOLD OUT – Alii Nui offers a dinner buffet fireworks cruise with complimentary transportation to and from West and South Maui hotels and condominiums. The price is $299 per person, but you can save $50 by booking online. Seating is limited to 40 people. For more information and booking see this link.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Lanai
(Lanai is part of Maui County.)
Four Seasons Lanai at Manele Bay is hosting a New Year’s Eve party with a 12 piece band and fireworks display from Hulopoe Bay at midnight.
Advice & Notes:
- I recommend you make your reservations as soon as possible to secure the event you prefer. Seating is limited, particularly on the cruises.
- Many resorts and venues will offer special New Year’s Eve events. Contact the concierge at your resort for information on their events.
- Many restaurants will allow children ages four or five and under to dine for free with each paying adult.
- All pricing and schedules were accurate at the time of publishing. Both pricing and schedules are subject to change.
- I will update this list when additions or revisions are determined.
- While you’re in Maui start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is the Hawaiian way to say Happy New Year.
As I mentioned I’m getting an early start on the Maui New Year’s Eve events. I anticipate I’ll be adding several more celebration options. So, bookmark this Maui New Year’s Eve Fireworks & Events page to check back for additions. Consider joining our facebook community where we’ll be discussing more Maui vacation ideas.