For the most current UPDATE, see this link: Maui New Year’s Eve Fireworks & Events
Note: the following list of events are from 2011 for reference purposes only.
Are you going to Maui or Lanai to celebrate New Year’s Eve? If you are, you’ll surely have a fantastic time! Between these two islands you’ll find festive dinners, music and fireworks filling up the night sky.
Here’s what you will find to help you make your New Year’s Eve plans.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
* I’ve confirmed that there will be midnight fireworks on Lanai at Hulopoe Beach by Four Seasons Lanai at Manele Bay. Andy and I spent a fabulous New Year’s Eve there two years ago. If you aren’t familiar with Lanai, it’s only a 45-minute ferry ride from Maui. The ferry only operates in daylight, so you’d need to stay overnight at either Four Seasons Lana’i at Manele Bay (where the fireworks show will take place), Four Seasons Lana’i Lodge at Koele, or Hotel Lanai. (No matter where you stay on Lanai, an island shuttle is available to pick you up at the ferry and take you anywhere you need to go on the island as well as all your transportation needs.) Before the beachside fireworks, the Four Seasons at Manele will host a New Year’s Eve celebration including a 12-piece band playing a collection of classic rock to contemporary hits. This event is complimentary to resort guests.
* Unofficially, I’m hearing (from multiple sources) there will be fireworks in Wailea near the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons. When fireworks events like these are not widely published, they are typically reserved for hotel guests — usually due to parking and logistics issues. If you want to see fireworks from Maui but you are not staying in Wailea, my advice would be to book one of the New Year’s Eve dinner or cocktail cruises. If there are fireworks, they will most likely find them, plus, you’ll probably see lots of residential fireworks. Here are companies that I know are offering New Year’s Eve cruises:
- Pride of Maui offers a very popular New Year’s Eve Cruise with appetizers and desserts. Live music, a premium open bar and midnight champagne toast are included. The price is $119.95 per adult. This cruise normally sells out. At the time of publishing, only 75 seats were remaining. See this link for more information and to book online.
- Alii Nui has a New Year’s Eve dinner buffet sail for $189 per person. Seating is limited to only 40 guests. See this link for all the details and booking reservations.
- Pacific Whale Foundation has two different New Year’s Eve cruises available – a late dinner cruise and a cocktail cruise. Pricing starts at 71.95 for adults including a 10% off web price. (Note that they are also offering premium seating cruise too, however it is sold out.)
New Year’s Eve Buffets & Dinners & Parties
* Enjoy fine dining with a five-course dinner at The Banyan Tree restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. Live entertainment provided by Raw Silk and party favors will set the stage for a memorable celebration from 5:30pm to 10pm. The cost is $125 per person. Reservations are recommended. Call (808)669-6200.
* Enjoy complimentary entertainment at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua’s Alaloa Lounge from 4pm to 2am. Sugah Daddy, a favorite six-piece island rock band begins playing at 8pm. For more information, call (808)669-6200.
* At Ritz-Carlton Kapalua’s Terrace Restaurant, you’ll find a buffet of island-inspired pupus served from interactive chef stations. The evening will be complimented by an assortment of traditional Hawaiian music and hula vignettes. Guests will be presented with a fresh flower lei greeting and festive party favors. The hours for this event are from 5:30pm to 10pm. Pricing is $100 per adult and 50 per ten ages 13 to 17. For reservations or more information call (808)669-6200.
* For the kids, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is offering a special New Year’s Eve celebration.
For children ages 5 to 8 years are invited to make their own pizza followed by an ice cream scavenger hunt. After an early countdown to the New Year, popcorn and a movie will cap the evening.
Kids ages 9 and olderwill ring in the new year with a special buffet dinner followed by a venture into the forested uplands for a guided night hike, followed by painting, snacks and sparkling cider. The coast is $150 per child and inclusive of the dinner. For more information, call (808)669-6200
* The Sheraton Maui in Kaanapali presents a New Year’s Eve Extravaganza buffet from 4pm to 10pm. See the menu here. Pricing is $89 per adult and $45 per children ages 6 to 12. For reservations call 808-921-4600.
* Kaanapali Beach Hotel will host A Magical Maui New Year’s Eve Party from 8:30pm to 1am at the Kapanaha Magic Dinner Theater. The evening includes a complimentary cocktail, three-course dinner, dancing, party favors and a midnight champagne toast. Pricing starts at $155 per person for general seating. Reservations are required. See this flyer for more information or call (808)667-0128.
* Party with the stars at the New Year’s Eve Party on the rooftop of the Hyatt Regency Maui in Kaanapali. The Tour of the Stars program will be featuring a star party with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to ring in the New Year Hawaii style from 11pm to midnight. For more information and reservations, call (808) 661-1234.
* Umalu at Hyatt Regency Maui in Kaanapali will host a poolside count down to the New Year party. The festivities include the band “Classic Knights” to ring in the 2012. Menu and drink specials will be available. For more information call (808)661-1234.
* The Tiki Terrace Restaurant at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel will serve a special four-course dinner from 6pm to 9pm. Live Hawaiian music will be provided. The pricing is $55 for adults and $35 for children ages 6 to 12. See this link to make a reservation.
* The Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea presents a magical Under the Sea-themed New Year’s Eve Gala. The event will begin with a reception featuring a premium open bar and pupus, followed by a gourmet buffet dinner. The celebration will continue with entertainment and dancing leading up to the New Year’s Eve countdown. This event runs from 6pm to 12am. Pricing is $250 per person, $150 per teen ages 16 to 20 and $60 per child ages 6 to 15. For reservations or more information, call (808)875-2290 or email email@example.com
* The Makena Beach & Golf Resort celebrates the new year with a buffet dinner. Following dinner, dance the night away to live music and enjoy refreshments with a complimentary champagne toast at midnight. The dinner buffet is from 5:30pm to 10pm. Live music will play until 12:30am. Pricing is $80 per adult, $60 per child ages 9 to 12 and $40 per child ages 5 to 8. Reservations recommended. For reservations or for more information call (808) 875-5888, email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Trilogy is offering a special New Year’s Eve sunset sail out of Lahaina from 4pm to 6:30pm. The sail includes drinks (mai tais, beer, wine, champagne), appetizers and live music. Pricing is $65 for adults. For more information or to book call 808-874-5649. (Added 12/30/11)
Advice & Notes:
- Unless otherwise noted, you can assume that taxes and gratuity are not included in the pricing listed.
- I recommend you make your reservations as soon as possible to secure the event you prefer. Seating is limited, particularly on the cruises.
- Many other resorts and venues will offer special New Year’s Eve events. If you do not see your resort listed, contact the concierge at your resort for information on their events.
- Many restaurants will allow children ages four or five and under to dine for free with each paying adult.
- All pricing and schedules were accurate at the time of publishing. Both pricing and schedules are subject to change.
- I will update this list when additions or revisions are determined.
- Mahalo to the Maui Visitors Bureau for their assistance.
While you’re in Maui and Lanai start practicing the phrase Hau’oli Makahiki Hou, which is the Hawaiian way to say Happy New Year. It’s pronounced, “how-oh-lay ma-ka-hee-key ho”.
Hau’oli Makahiki Hou and happy 2012 to you!