* With rising fuel costs, experts say we’re likely to see higher airfare costs. As SmarterTravel put it, “For consumers, fuel prices may be the most important index to watch through the coming year. All signs point to higher prices, which means travelers can expect more fare hikes and, possibly (but hopefully not), an increase in fees. Not trying to be alarmist here, but the writing is on the wall—the trend is for increasingly expensive travel in 2011.” Ugg!
* I don’t often see deals for Aston’s Waimea Plantation Cottages in Kauai, but they’re offering one now. Special winter rates are reduced to $234 – a 20% savings – for a one-bedroom garden view cottage. Book now for travel until April 30, 2011. www.AstonHotels.com.
* Marriott resorts in Maui, Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island are offering a special Spirit of Aloha Package that includes a free night stay, free upgrade, and free breakfast for two. You must book by February 28, 2011. The deal is valid for stays through June 30, 2011.
* Embassy Suites-Waikiki Beach Walk has a “Suite-est deal” on a five-night or longer stay with rates starting at $269 per night for a one-bedroom suite. With this deal, guests will be given $100 in vouchers to use at any Waikiki Beach Walk restaurant or store. (Four $25 beach-buck vouchers will be provided at check-in; there is no cash value.) To get this deal, use the code “SDP” online at www.EmbassySuitesWaikiki.com com or by calling 1-800-EMBASSY.
* Looking for an inexpensive wedding on the romantic Garden Island? Kauai Beach Resort has created a new wedding package for any couple that wants to start their first day together with an intimate oceanfront ceremony in paradise amid family and close friends. The package includes the site fee, official to perform the ceremony, seating for 10 guests, wedding cake, champagne, and photography. Cost is $1,800 plus tax. www.kauaibeachresorthawaii.com
* Kauai’s Courtyard by Marriott at Coconut Beach (formerly the Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa) is undergoing major renovations.
* Yippee! I was super excited to see that Go Visit Hawaii was ranked at number 9 of the Top 100 Travel Blogs recently. Thank you for reading and being a part of our success!