The Hawaiian Island’s volcanic mountains combined with the pleasant trade winds create such a diversity of climates. As I’ve share with you before, each island has a wetter windward side and a drier leeward side.
As you plan your Hawaii vacation, you might want to find the best places to stay to avoid rain, particularly in the rainier winter months. That being said, there’s a good chance that rain will not put much of a damper your vacation, even in the winter. I’ve been to Hawaii in all seasons and have rarely had rain create any vacation issues.
So where are the best places in Hawaii to avoid rain? I’ll list those resort areas by island. Here are the top resorts in Hawaii with 20 or less inches of rain per year.
Maui – The best sunshine is on West and South Maui. (See more details about where to stay on Maui for the best weather.)
- Kaanapali (Lots of hotels including a Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, Westin and many more.)
- Lahaina (Several smaller locally owned hotels are here.)
- Kihei (Mostly condo rentals are here.)
- Wailea (This posh area includes a Fairmont, Four Seasons, Marriott, and more.)
- Makena (This sunny spot has the Maui Prince Hotel.)
Oahu – Basically the southern end of the island is the driest.
- Waikiki Beach (Many, many hotel options here)
- Kahala Beach (Kahala Resort is the one and only option.)
- Ko’Olina (JW Marriott is the only option here.)
Big Island – The Kohala Coast is super sunny year round where it only receives around 10 inches of rain each year.
- The resorts at Waikoloa (Marriott and Hilton)
- The resorts at Mauna Lani (The Mauna Lani Resort and the Fairmont are here.)
- The Kohala Coast Prince resorts included the Mauna Kea Resort and the Hapuna Prince Resort
Lanai – This smaller island only has three total hotels with one of them situated on the sunny southern end. That would be the Four Seasons Resort at Manele Bay.
Watch for future articles to find more weather comparison details and the sunniest spots to stay in on each island.
Now you may be wondering where is Kauai and that’s a great question. Kauai tends to get a bit more rain than the other islands. Here’s an article on where to stay on Kauai for the best weather.
- Revealed series of Hawaii guidebooks